what do you suggest as the best headphones to use with an ipod?
Nov 17, 2002 at 2:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ProtoDAda

New Head-Fier
hello!

what do you suggest as the best headphones (not those ear plug headphones) to use with an ipod (to use with a portable mp3 player without an amp)? i bought sennheiser hd25sp, but i don't really like the sound of it (i took advice from previous posting and "broke it in" by playing more than 72 hrs of music through it
tongue.gif
) thank you for any adivce and suggestions... have a fantastic day!
smily_headphones1.gif

oh, and is it possible to replace my sennheiser hd25sp's cable to a shorter one? and if so, where can i purchase one?

this is the audio spcification of an ipod:

Audio
Up to 20 minutes of skip protection
Maximum output power: 60 mW rms (30 mW per channel)
Frequency response: 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz
Audio formats supported: MP3 (up to 320 Kbps), MP3 Variable Bit Rate (VBR), WAV, AIFF, Audible® (for Mac only)(4)
Upgradable firmware enables support for future audio formats

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 11
If you like rhythmic and bouncy sound and don't care for isolation, the Grado SR-80's are great. If you want neutral, revealing sound and ultimate isolation and good comfort, get the Sennheiser HD280. Yes, the 280's look dorky, but the combination of positives is unmatched by any other headphone that I'm aware of.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:15 AM Post #6 of 11
If you're into the Grado sound I think the Sr 40's would be a good choice. Otherwize if you're into great midrange and soundstage, those EM7's may be a good fit for you. These do sound a lot more crisp and "fine" than the KSc 35's.

Nov 18, 2002 at 3:32 AM Post #7 of 11
Alternative to the KSC-35's is the KSC-50's. If you're not into earclips, then go with the Koss Portapro. There is a coupon deal out that makes it 50% less direct form the Koss website.

Don't like the 25-sp? Why not? What faults did you find with it? Identifying the faults might help people to make better recommendations.

Nov 18, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #8 of 11
Ive been using my ksc50s, and i like it alot.

Now, i find it more suitable than bringing the grados out.

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:13 AM Post #9 of 11
etymotics ER4P

Nov 19, 2002 at 12:14 AM Post #10 of 11
oops... didnt notice the "not those ear plugs" part...

my recommendation for the ER4P still stands tho

Nov 19, 2002 at 7:20 AM Post #11 of 11
I was fortunate enough to land myself a pair of 35's a few weeks ago (Thanks head-fi trader's forum!
smily_headphones1.gif
) and I enjoy them very much. I have to admit my ears are still quite noobophile but they were a light year ahead of my iPod buds and my Koss Plugs. My only gripe with them is that they provide absolutely no isolation- which can be a pain sometimes.

Ruahrc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back