What DAPs support USB audio out, and so can be used with an external USB DAC?
Apr 17, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #31 of 42
Bump. I am new to this and hoping to find a reasonable dap with usb out. A year later and still nothing new.

None. From a technical+marketing standpoint the product won't make any sense - it will use a protocol that smartphones, tablets, and laptops have, without having all the features that make the others useful for a lot of other things. Your phone if it's carrier subsidized serves as a cheap (or technically free) USB audio player.

Apr 17, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #32 of 42
None. From a technical+marketing standpoint the product won't make any sense - it will use a protocol that smartphones, tablets, and laptops have, withouhaving all the features that make the others useful for a lot of other things. Your phone if it's carrier subsidized serves as a cheap (or technically free) USB audio player.

I think it makes total marketing sense. Storage on a phone fills up quickly. Some phones are work assets and won't allow you to download on them. For every portable USB DAC sold there is a potential customer.

Apr 17, 2016 at 2:00 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Storage on a phone fills up quickly.

Quote:

Some phones are work assets and won't allow you to download on them.

X3 says, "Look ma, no USB DAC needed! Oh, wait, I am one!"

Quote:

For every portable USB DAC sold there is a potential customer.

Yeah...for people who use them with laptops, desktop computers, smartphones, and tablets.

Or as DAPs.

Quote:

I think it makes total marketing sense. 

A little bit of Marketing 101 seems to be in order - look at the data. A year old page that only just made three pages now says the exact opposite of sense. In other words, that there are so few people participating in this thread asking for that kind of product is an indicator that there aren't that many people interested. Compare that to how the Fiio X3 thread got to 564 pages within a year. Even if you account that it's for an actual prototype, the gargantuan gap still runs as an indicator that, for example, given a phone that you can't fill with music because your boss won't let you, people would lug around and use either their personal phones, or a DAP that doesn't need an amplifier. Or even if they do, there's SPDIF.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/the-fiio-x3-thread/8445

What does make more marketing sense is that iPhone DAC-HPamp case...until you factor in the price and how the next iPhone would render it effectively obsolete.Which is why LG just came up with a modular phone, though not quite like the original Google concept.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #34 of 42
I am also looking for a dedicated DAP which supports OTG USB based DAC output.

My reasoning is:
Phone is full of 10+ years of pictures and videos. I use it for 4K video clips too, so it's 80% full usually.

I want the DAP to have at least 128GB just for music.

MOST importantly, I prefer my DAC/Amps built in equalizer and bass boost. Hell, it was the main reason to bought it.

All of my research so far leads me to purchasing another Android device to use just for music.

Fiio E17K
Kumitate Lab KL-kanon Custom IEMs

Cheers!

Nov 15, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #35 of 42
I am also looking for a dedicated DAP which supports OTG USB based DAC output.

My reasoning is:
Phone is full of 10+ years of pictures and videos. I use it for 4K video clips too, so it's 80% full usually.

I want the DAP to have at least 128GB just for music.

MOST importantly, I prefer my DAC/Amps built in equalizer and bass boost. Hell, it was the main reason to bought it.

All of my research so far leads me to purchasing another Android device to use just for music.

Fiio E17K
Kumitate Lab KL-kanon Custom IEMs

Cheers!

i am using galaxy s3 as a digital interface for my predator DAC amp

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #37 of 42
The Shanling M1 might suit your needs. Although I really don't like its scroll/press
wheel, other H-fiers don't mind it.
Also the Hidizs ap60 is out and it promises to have USB out working but
the firmware dosn't support it yet.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #38 of 42
Hi all, I'm very new to all this so please be gentle!
I would like to buy a DAP that has USB out so that I can play it in my car.. the car only has USB in connections and it runs a Bowers & Wilkins top end system. Most of the brands and models I have looked at have 2 x outputs (normal and balanced?) but none specify that they can use USB as a line out source. I want to keep it simple and NOT use Apple as iTunes is just too limiting for me. I know I can use a USB stick with MP3 files but I'd love better quality.. can anyone help?
Cheers from down under, David

Nov 27, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #39 of 42
Hi all, I'm very new to all this so please be gentle!
I would like to buy a DAP that has USB out so that I can play it in my car.. the car only has USB in connections and it runs a Bowers & Wilkins top end system. Most of the brands and models I have looked at have 2 x outputs (normal and balanced?) but none specify that they can use USB as a line out source. I want to keep it simple and NOT use Apple as iTunes is just too limiting for me. I know I can use a USB stick with MP3 files but I'd love better quality.. can anyone help?
Cheers from down under, David

If you're going to use USB out into a car system you don't need the DAP. You won't use the DAP's DAC much less its output stage or amp circuit, and when you use USB anyway the car's receiver tends to act as the interface. The car probably can't read FLAC either. You might as well just use your phone running Spotify or loaded with MP3 if you don't have a microSD slot on it than buy a $399 or more expensive DAP that runs Android.

Mar 3, 2022 at 8:03 PM Post #40 of 42
Hi,

I have the FiiO M11 and the AKG N90Q here.
Would it be better running an audio cable between the Fiio M11 DAP and the N90Q or would it be better to run a USB cable between both of them? I guess the latter one?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar

Mar 3, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #41 of 42
Hi,

I have the FiiO M11 and the AKG N90Q here.
Would it be better running an audio cable between the Fiio M11 DAP and the N90Q or would it be better to run a USB cable between both of them? I guess the latter one?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar
If you use the audio cable out on the Fiio M11, your using the DAC's/AMP of the M11 (I'm assuming you are not connecting it as a line-out). If you use USB out on the Fiio M11, you are sending a digital signal to the headphones and using the dac/amp in the headphones. Only you can say what is better.

I will say this thou, if you find the usb out is better sounding with these HP's, I would sell the M11 and get a simpler DAP that has usb audio out. Bypassing the DAC and amp on the M11 is wasted money because you are just using it as a digital transport. IMHO

Mar 7, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #42 of 42
If you use the audio cable out on the Fiio M11, your using the DAC's/AMP of the M11 (I'm assuming you are not connecting it as a line-out). If you use USB out on the Fiio M11, you are sending a digital signal to the headphones and using the dac/amp in the headphones. Only you can say what is better.

I will say this thou, if you find the usb out is better sounding with these HP's, I would sell the M11 and get a simpler DAP that has usb audio out. Bypassing the DAC and amp on the M11 is wasted money because you are just using it as a digital transport. IMHO

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.
I did some testing over the last week and it sounds much better via the USB connection, both from my LG phone and from my FiiO to the N90Q. The mediaplayer I use is the UAPP.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back