What Component should I upgrade next, speakers or amplification component
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

NatDeroxL7

New Head-Fier
First post here.  I'm no longer finding enough time to enjoy playing a loud and massive guitar rig, so I sold my guitar rig and am focusing on enjoying listening to professionals perform music rather than play it myself poorly.

I'd say I spend maybe 75% of my time listening to music 'out loud' and 25% on headphones.

My setup is:

Headphone:  iMac -> NuForce Icon HD (USB) -> Beyerdynamic DT770 32 Ohm

Out Loud:  Same -> Same (Pre-Amp RCA Out) -> Onkyo TX-8211 (kinda Gettin old) -> Bose 301s + Polk PSW125 Subwoofer

Should I do speakers next?  Ditch the Onkyo and just get a straight up power amp since the NuForce does Pre-Amp duties?

I'm liking the reviews of the KEF Q300s.

If I just upgrade to another integrated, like a Marantz PM6004, do I keep the integrated's volume at 100% and control with the NuForce or leave the NuForce at 100% and control with the Marantz?

One thing I never use is the Radio, I do not need a 'Reciever', unless the reciever is actually offering better sound than a similar priced integrated or power amp.

My Budget for one or both is $1350.  Or, if the Onkyo is 'good enough' compared to a modern $500-$700 integrated or power amp, then I could go all in on the speakers.

If I wen't all-in on one component, I would have a similar budget in the next month or so for the other component, once my last piece of guitar equipment sells.

Is worth looking for used products online?

Thanks!

Nate

Nov 24, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 2
I don't think a over-priced Marantz is going to be much of an improvement over your current Onkyo TX-8211, get some new speakers if you like the kef's then get the kef's they should be much better than your bose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back