what cartridge?
Nov 7, 2007 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jamess71

500+ Head-Fier
I have no previous experience with vinyl, other than messing with my fathers as a kid.
biggrin.gif

I'm getting an older Marantz turntable from a fellow co-worker. I'm going to replace the catridge. I don't want to spend over $100. What should I get. Are they universal? Thanks for any info on my new adventure.

James

Nov 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 4
You need to know what the phonostage you are using is capable of. A good MM cartridge is always a safe bet. Although IMO not as good sonicly as an MC cartridge. In your price range I would get a MM, maybe a shure, denon, AT. Lots of choices.

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to know what the phonostage you are using is capable of. A good MM cartridge is always a safe bet. Although IMO not as good sonicly as an MC cartridge. In your price range I would get a MM, maybe a shure, denon, AT. Lots of choices.

OK after some reading I will go with MM, moving magnet.
wink.gif
How do I get info on the phonostage? what is the phonostage?
plainface.gif
I'm hoping she remembers to bring it in today and I'll have more info on it. Thnaks

James

Nov 7, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #4 of 4
The phonostage is either in your pre-amp or is available as a standalone and it matches the output of your cartridge to the input of the phonostage. If you have RCA inputs on your preamp marked "phono", then your preamp has a phonostage. Check with your preamps manufacturer's website for its specifications; these may dictate the cartridges you want to look at. In lower priced cartridges, I've always like Ortofon's sound.

Since turntables are mechanical devices subject to wear, I would check your "new" used turntables mechanical operation (drive system and tone arm) before running out to buy a new cartridge. You may need to repair/replace some drive and tonearm components just to get the thing running properly (if you can get the parts).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back