What are your top 10 most influential albums?
May 1, 2020 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Redcarmoose

Headphoneus Supremus
You know what to do; post your top 10 most influential albums ever!

Do it!

May 2, 2020 at 12:16 AM Post #2 of 7
Having a hard time thinking of 10, but here's a shorter list. In no particular order...
  • Traveler - Chris Stapleton (just a great singer and album. My go to intro album when people say they don't listen tk country).
  • Meteora - Linkin Park (this album started a multi-year bender on metal. I don't listen to metal much anymore, but I still go back to this album from time to time).
  • Elton John - Elton John (have some strong memories and emotions associated with this album).
  • Unplugged - Eric Clapton (I started learning acoustic guitar because of this album).
  • Songs About Jane - Maroon 5 (just a catchy album with some great hits).
  • All The Little Lights - Passenger (was too busy for guitar for a period of time but the song Let Her Go made me pick the guitar back up).
  • The Foundation - Zac Brown Band (I disliked country until my friends introduced me to these guys).

May 2, 2020 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 7
Led Zeppelin..... Debut Self Titled 1969
Ted Nugent.....Debut Self Titled 1975
Black Sabbath..... Master of Reality 1971
Black Sabbath..... Paranoid 1970
Led Zeppelin.....The Song Remains The Same Soundtrack 1976
Frank Zappa..... Zoot Allures 1976
Frank Zappa.....Apostrophe 1974
Golden Earring..... Moontan 1973
10cc.....The Original Soundtrack 1975
Black Sabbath.....Debut Self Titled 1970

Probably influenced me due to my age and how the music was different than from what I heard before? Strangely my first taste of Zeppelin One and Sabbath One was from a bootleg cassette my mom purchased for me at Sears. As your a child you always ask for stuff, but at 10 years old she simply agreed to buy it for me. It was in a bubble wrap with no cassette case. The background was this multicolored painting with guys with instruments playing. I had no idea who the bands were and only owned one or two cassettes at the time. The cassette had about five songs from the two albums on each side. Side one started with Good Times Bad Times and had Communication Breakdown. It didn’t have the song Black Sabbath.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 7
- Born & Raised by John Mayer
- RAM by Paul McCartney
- The Royal Scam by Steely Dan
- The White Album by The BeaTles
- Layla & other assorted love songs by Derek & the Dominoes
- Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band by The BeaTles
- Rubber Soul by The BeaTles
- Two Against Nature by Steely Dan
- Are you Experienced by The Jimi Hendrix Experience
- In the Skies by Peter Green

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 7
For me, a lot of the jazz albums from the late 50s and 60s which also includes Brazilian bossa nova stuff . Even classical albums from the similar time period. For rock, a lot of the stuff from the 70s. In the 21st century, I find Japanese pop music to be refreshing

Jul 16, 2020 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 7
I have to think about this. So much music. My list...

Santana - Santana
Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Crosby Stills & Nash - Crosby Stills & Nash
Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East
Chicago - Chicago Transit Authority
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
Minoru Nojima - Nojima Plays Liszt
Antonio Vivaldi - Four Seasons
Johann Pachelbel - Canon In D

Jul 17, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #7 of 7
One of the reasons why I prefer older albums is because the performances were more authentic. If an artist made a mistake or didn’t record well, he or she would do multiple retakes.

For pop music today, retakes are not that necessary. These days, a producer can use a computer to manipulate the mistakes or lack luster performance and make it sound acceptable. As a result, more songs from the modern era sound more sterile and manufactured. Studio engineers know this so it’s not really a secret behind the scenes.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back