What are you listening to? (classical)
Oct 31, 2006 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

eyeresist

500+ Head-Fier
There are some great classical music threads in this forum, but they are generally along the lines of "Greatest performance of [composer/piece]", which is a bit limiting in terms of general music appreciation and discussion. (And the Mahler thread is crazy! 2,759 posts at last count!)

So how about a thread where we talk in general about what we're listening to, without being limited to one composer, piece or instrument? If it doesn't work, we can always let it die a horrible, strangulated death...

So I'll begin:

Last night I listened to the Tchaikovsky piano sonatas, on Hyperion/Delios by Howard Shelley. The "official" sonata I've heard enough times to be a little weary of it, but the other two (including a "completed" early single movement) were very enjoyable -chromatically rich and melodic, v good performances. And lovely sonics, very refreshing after struggling with the dull veiled sound of Kuchar's Prokofiev set.

Any opinions on this disc, or the pieces thereon?

Aug 13, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 12
Is this thread dead? I thought it really interesting. Are there any other thread with the same purpose?

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 12
It certainly seems to have been dead for quite a number of years, but it is a bit different from the other classical threads. In any case, I was just listening to Verdi's Requiem with Pavarotti, Price, Cossotto, and Ghiaurov. The La Scala Orchestra and Chorus of Milan, with Karajan at the helm. Feeling pretty good about myself. Enough said.

Jun 26, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #6 of 12
Eleanor Alberga - Violin Concerto No. 1 (2017)

1687794003589.png

Nov 9, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #9 of 12
Camille Saint-Saëns, Francis Poulenc - Saint Saens: Symphony No. 3 "Organ" & Carnival Of The Animals - Poulenc: Les Animaux Modelès (2001)

Camille_Saint_Saëns,_Francis_Poulenc_Saint_Saens_Symphony_No_3_Organ.jpg

Nov 18, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 12
Charles Ives / Bernstein, Ormandy, Stokowski, New York Philharmonic, Philadelphia Orchestra, American Symphony Orchestra - The Four Symphonies Of Charles Ives (1968)

Charles_Ives_Bernstein,_Ormandy,_Stokowski,_New_York_Philharmonic.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back