What are you expecting from the next Sennheiser flagship?
Jan 15, 2013 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MetalElvis

100+ Head-Fier
I´m a big fan of Sennheiser headphones, but I´m a bit disappointed with the current models. Every model seems to have some "flaws".

HD 600
Comfort 9/10
Sound 7/10   - Good neutral sound, but quite grainy, not very hifi :frowning2:

HD 650
Comfort 10/10   - The most comfortable headphone of all time!
Sound 8/10   - Nice smooth sound, not grainy like the HD 600, but the sound is too dark :frowning2:

HD 700
Comfort 7/10   - Quite thin padding and I didn´t like the material, also they move around the ears changing the sound 
Sound 7.5/10   - Very weird sounding, I actually thought there was too boomy bass in this one and there´s some treble peaks
:frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

HD 800
Comfort 8.5/10   - Not as good as HD 600 or 650, but nice. The ear paddings are quite big. The clamping could have been tiny bit tighter, these things fall off easily
Sound 9/10   - Very analytical (love or hate) and clear with a big soundstage, but lacks the bass weight and the treble is boosted a bit too much :frowning2:

RS 220   (only heard these few times in stores)
Comfort 8/10   - Not as good as HD 600 or 650, but nice, bit heavier, the headband padding could have been softer
Sound 7.5/10   - Nice balanced sound, close to HD 600 with touch of more bass and treble, but the sound was little grainy as well like the HD 600
* The sound kept cutting out though in both stores I tried them. Also I have read countless reviews and comments from users that the sound cuts out, what a big disappointment!
:frowning2: :frowning2: :frowning2:

So basically I´m hoping for Sennheiser to make a headphone with the HD 650 comfort, but with different sound signature, not like HD 600/700, more like the 800, but with more bass and no boosted treble or treble spikes. And I wouldn´t mind a new electrostatic headphone from Senn. :wink:

Rooting for you Sennheiser!

Jan 15, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 15
A closed Sennheiser flagship or one with wooden housings would be something new.. I like my HD800 but I do sometimes wish the materials felt more luxurious..

As for the sound, I don't know where they'll go next.. perhaps an awesome new 3D spherical driver shape :D

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #4 of 15
Hi,

If I'd never heard Stax or HiFiman, I'd say the HD-800 are great.

As is, I like HD-800 ergonomics a lot. Keep them. I like most of the HD-800 sound, but please give me the bass of the HiFiMan HE-500 and upper midrange/treble of the older Stax or maybe the HiFiman HE-500 mid/high with a trifle more treble.

Then I'll buy it instantly.

Cheers Rich

Jan 16, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 15
Hoping for some stats to compete with the 009.  Plan to get a pair of high end stats in the next 2-3 years and would be nice to have more options at that end of the spectrum.

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #6 of 15
Not sure I quite agree with your analysis. I'd go:

HD 600
Comfort 9/10   - Light weight, light clapping, very comfortable
Sound 8.5/10   - Good neutral sound, very balanced across the range, scales well with good amplification

HD 650
Comfort 8/10   - As above but clamping effect too great.
Sound 8/10   - Less neutral, smooth but warm and slightly dark sounding (so suits many modern recordings), scales well with better amplification

HD 700
Haven't tried it

HD 800
Comfort 9.5/10   - Exceptional, I sometimes forget I'm wearing them.
Sound 9/10   - Detailed and clear with a much better sound stage than the 6xx. Treble spike means it can be fatiguing with poor recordings. Can be amp sensitive and needs careful partnering to produce its best.

The HD800 is the first headphone I've owned that doesn't tempt me to keep turning up the volume because I sense I'm missing 'something'. As to a HD800 successor, it's 'issues' are well known so it would be nice to see an already good product fine tuned some more. However, the HD800 is holding its own with the competition just fine, so I don't see that there's a pressing need for a replacement. I'd rather Sennheiser took their time and really got the product right. What I fear is that the price of a new flagship will go up sharply, making it unaffordable for the majority.

Jan 17, 2013 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 15
My HD 600 has definitely more clamping than my HD 650, but I´ve noticed both of them will get looser as time goes by and I´ve used HD 650 more so that explains it, but HD 650 has also fatter ear pads than HD 650, which makes them more comfortable.

Jan 17, 2013 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 15
Yeah, Orpheus Mk2. I'm ready, bring `em!

Jan 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
Why not? The HD800 is an enormous success to the company even more than the HE90/60.

The new sennheiser is focused on sound effects (soundstage, impact/boomy bass,low high extension etc)
Music presentation is unnatural(hd6xx) or bland (hd800),

The old sennheiser is focused on music itself, sound much more real,lifelike,natural,

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:21 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
The new sennheiser is focused on sound effects (soundstage, impact/boomy bass,low high extension etc)
Music presentation is unnatural(hd6xx) or bland (hd800),

The old sennheiser is focused on music itself, sound much more real,lifelike,natural,

If the old team was currently in Sennheiser, trust me they would also be designing the next "Momentum" with boomy bass to rival Beats and co. That's capitalism for you. I think the HD800 is an amazing headphone but I do criticize the HD6xx very often, but you have to remember they were created for a budget and for a market. HE90/HE60 was a statement product with largely no cost in mind for it.

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:47 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
If the old team was currently in Sennheiser, trust me they would also be designing the next "Momentum" with boomy bass to rival Beats and co. That's capitalism for you. I think the HD800 is an amazing headphone but I do criticize the HD6xx very often, but you have to remember they were created for a budget and for a market. HE90/HE60 was a statement product with largely no cost in mind for it.

The old Senn guys are not only headphone developers, they are also serious musicians
http://www.audioclassica.de/en/about

have you heard HD540 reference gold, HD560 Ovation (not II)?
they sound musical, good clarity, much better than HD6xx,

Jan 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #14 of 15
That is exactly what I want as well. 
Quote:
Hi,

If I'd never heard Stax or HiFiman, I'd say the HD-800 are great.

As is, I like HD-800 ergonomics a lot. Keep them. I like most of the HD-800 sound, but please give me the bass of the HiFiMan HE-500 and upper midrange/treble of the older Stax or maybe the HiFiman HE-500 mid/high with a trifle more treble.

Then I'll buy it instantly.

Cheers Rich

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM Post #15 of 15
I really wanna try the IE800's I'm afraid I probably don't have a music and source to get the most from the though

I don't own the 600, 650's, 700's or 800's but you basically summed up all the bad things I have heard, I want to try the 600's, the 650's will probably be to dark for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back