What $1K DAC for my preference?
Dec 20, 2023 at 9:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Lindholdt

1000+ Head-Fier
So I was set on getting a R2R DAC for my HiFiMAN HE1000 Stealth and Violectric V200, as I though the combination was a bit on the bright side. The idea was that the DAC would tilt the sound signature a bit towards a warmer side.

But then I got the Tor Audio tube amp, and it has become my main amplifier, as it gives the HE1000's the warmth I was looking for.

My SMSL DO100 is doing fine, but I do think it's the weakest link in my setup and I would like to see if upgrading would be worth it to me.

But where to go, now that R2R is not set in stone anymore?
I love to get an increase in technical capabilities, especially soundstage and layering. Thats the main reason for the upgrade.
What DAC's are good for this?
I've been considering a fully upgraded Geshelli J2S, The Topping D70 Octo, or simply still going for the R2R that I had planned Audio GD R-1 NOS.

All inputs are welcome, but please keep it below $1000us/euro and with my preferences in mind.

Thanks 🙏

Dec 20, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #2 of 4
I previously owned a Tor amp. Fun, very warm. I think R2R DAC (like a multi bit Bifrost 2 OG) may be too much of a good thing re: note weight. A more analytical DAC (Qutest?) may hit a better sweet spot but I do admit all R2R DACs are not as full bodied as a Bifrost.

Dec 21, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #3 of 4
The DAC will have the least effect, trying different filters would be a good thing to try. For a real change, the SMSL DO200 is on sale at Amazon currently. I've had that and the combination of filters and 3 color settings really will change it audibly. Any SMSL like the original M300 AK4497 that has color settings is well worth it. The only other I could hear the difference is the original AK4499 DAC like the liquid platinum. The slow rolloff filter really does roll the treble off early. New ones with color options are the way to go.

Dec 21, 2023 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 4
I previously owned a Tor amp. Fun, very warm. I think R2R DAC (like a multi bit Bifrost 2 OG) may be too much of a good thing re: note weight. A more analytical DAC (Qutest?) may hit a better sweet spot but I do admit all R2R DACs are not as full bodied as a Bifrost.
Yes, that's what I'm thinking as well, too much warmth with R2R and Tor might be a thing.
I have heard the Mojo and really liked, so the Qutest might be a good choice. A bit on the pricey side though :/

The DAC will have the least effect, trying different filters would be a good thing to try. For a real change, the SMSL DO200 is on sale at Amazon currently. I've had that and the combination of filters and 3 color settings really will change it audibly. Any SMSL like the original M300 AK4497 that has color settings is well worth it. The only other I could hear the difference is the original AK4499 DAC like the liquid platinum. The slow rolloff filter really does roll the treble off early. New ones with color options are the way to go.
I already have the SMSL DO100, you think the DO200 would be a big change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back