Went to a Godspeed You Black Emperor! concert
Apr 19, 2002 at 10:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

wab

500+ Head-Fier
Yesterday I attended a Godspeed You Black Emperor! concert in the lovely Paradiso venue in Amsterdam.

They played a few tracks I knew from their albums but also a lot of new stuff and what i suspect was improvisation. They played very loud but Paradiso has a killer soundsystem so it still sounded very good. Their trademark crescendo-climax-wall-of-sound-chamber-rock is even more overwhelming in a live setting, some people around me started crying, I just had a big smile on my face (maybe that was also caused by the fun-sigaret I had in my mouth
wink.gif
).

Anyway, it was one of the coolest concerts I've ever seen so if they ever come near you make sure yo go and see them.

Apr 19, 2002 at 7:46 PM Post #3 of 9
Cool, cool......u lucky dog
biggrin.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 12:26 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by mackay maus
Never heard of these guys, but love that name. Always on the look out for new sounds-will give then a shot.

Yeah, definitely do. If you are hungry for good, new music, this is definitely it.

wab -- I am envious.

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 9
One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was deciding to skip a Godspeed You Black Emperor! show when they came through L.A. Now my rule of thumb is...never miss an opportunity to see any good band. You never know if they'll come back round again.

I missed seeing Exhorder 3 times, then they broke up.
frown.gif

Apr 20, 2002 at 4:35 PM Post #6 of 9
YOU [EXPLETIVE]! I am so jealous. I missed them when they came through LA and when they came through San Diego. Next time in US? Who knows...

That is really, really great that you got to go. Hey, are they different sans aidan?

Apr 20, 2002 at 11:00 PM Post #7 of 9
Wow! I know how amazing their crescendos sound through my hd580s and corda ha-1, I can only imagine how great they must sound live!

They are an incredible group. It's too bad that they are not better-known.

Apr 22, 2002 at 11:31 AM Post #8 of 9
Yes they are pretty cool. If you go to one of their concert make sure you bring earplugs or be prepared to stick your fingers in your ears for the last half hour, the "grand finale" is pure noise at 120dB.

Apr 22, 2002 at 3:44 PM Post #9 of 9
Great band through the cans, live must be one helluva experience!
eek.gif

I really like f# a# (infinity symbol) and Slow Riot for New Zero Kanada.

I also picked up Set Fire to Flames- Sings Reign Rebuilder, which has members of GYBE in it. I highly recommend it if you're into that Atmospheric/tragic sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back