Well I received my Eat A Peach CD..Anyone know how to fix a gold disc? (MFSL)
Apr 5, 2006 at 11:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Audiofiler

Headphoneus Supremus
I won this auction at eBay and the item was said to be in very good cond...it has scuffs and scratches all to crap man. Anyway, doing returns/credits is ok, but always lose out in like 7$ in shipping...only paid $34 total.
I have no-know on the treating of gold 24kt discs, as I keep mine the mint they were new..
evil_smiley.gif

Does anyone know if those cd doctors would be of use here or could suggest any ideas/past experience with this? good
The life of an Allman Bros MFSL UDI is in question..

Apr 6, 2006 at 12:50 AM Post #2 of 4
does it not play correctly? or are you just bothered by the crappy look?

i ask because the disc doctors do work if the CD you're cleaning isn't too far gone, but then you end up with a disc that looks like it's been cleaned (i.e., it doesn't just go back to new-looking). i'll see if i can get you a pic so you can see what i'm talking about.

otherwise, if it plays OK, just use EAC & make a backup so it won't get worse.
biggrin.gif

Apr 6, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by xixco
does it not play correctly? or are you just bothered by the crappy look?

i ask because the disc doctors do work if the CD you're cleaning isn't too far gone, but then you end up with a disc that looks like it's been cleaned (i.e., it doesn't just go back to new-looking). i'll see if i can get you a pic so you can see what i'm talking about.

otherwise, if it plays OK, just use EAC & make a backup so it won't get worse.
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the reply!! It skips, in track 3, 4, and 5...badly through the mtn jam...(33:00 min jam), with it being a gold disc, did not want to mess with the surface if possible...(bc I know Brasso works as good for me on normal red book discs, but did not want to chance on a 24kt disc)
You mentioned burning a copy, will the copy be of the same sound quality or close as the original mfsl cd? do you know? or anyone?

Thanks

Apr 6, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #4 of 4
I'd start with the safest methods first and go from there. Try rinsing the data side with water and see if that helps. The best towel I've found to dry the disc is the eye glass disposable towels sold at Lenscrafters, or places like that. Wipe in a straight line from the center to the outer edge. Paper towels can leave tiny scratches behind. Try that a couple times before risking the disc with any polishes. Don't use the pre-moistened towels. Get the box of dry towels, or get one from an eye lass wearing friend.

If you clean it good enough for EAC to get a bit perfect copy, the copied version should sound as good as the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back