Weird Frankenjewelcase on E.L.O. album
Jul 27, 2011 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Argyris

Head-Fi's third most long-winded poster.
I just discovered something very weird about the copy of E.L.O.'s Out of the Blue I got from Amazon today. I had ordered (or thought I had ordered) the 2007 remastered version and was surprised (and momentarily miffed) to see that they had sent what appeared to be Joe Gastwirt's original 1990 version. It even says his name right on the back, and the extra tracks weren't in the track listing. I figured, "Hey, some people say that version was better, anyway, so no biggie."

Popping it into my source I discovered immediately that the sound was unpleasantly midrangey and bloated, not at all like the few tracks from the album I already had in my library, which sound excellent. Then I noticed something else--the extra tracks were on the disc! Upon further inspection I realized--and this is so strange--that while the back paper and name on the side appear to be from the original CD release, the booklet and the disc are clearly the 2007 versions. The disc even has a 2007 copyright date.

So, as it turns out, I've got a Frankenjewelcase that, to all appearances, mimics the original CD release but contains the new (and, now that I've heard it, grossly sonically inferior) version. I've never seen anything like this before. One thing's for sure--I'm going to be seeking out the real 1990 versions of the E.L.O. discography as they have to sound better than the new ones. I imagine my two existing tracks were from that vintage.

Has anybody else had something like this happen before? Or does anybody else have a copy of this album like mine?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back