We need some sort of mininum requirement for posting in FS forums
May 15, 2010 at 5:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

markkr

1000+ Head-Fier
There are FAR too many brand new members with ZERO feedback or even profile setups posting in the for sale forums.

There should be a minimum membership time or minimum post count required to post there and a profile should be mandatory. I see this requirement on nearly EVERY other forum that I belong to.

May 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 9

Quote:
There are FAR too many brand new members with ZERO feedback or even profile setups posting in the for sale forums.

There should be a minimum membership time or minimum post count required to post there and a profile should be mandatory. I see this requirement on nearly EVERY other forum that I belong to.

There was at one time (I believe a minimum of 50 or 100 posts) but Jude removed the requirement about a year ago.
I agree that it should be reinstated now that the site has a more commercial look to it which will attract retailers and possible fraudsters.

May 15, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #3 of 9
On paper, a certain post requirement would be a good idea, but people trying to circumvent it might simply spam the forums to achieve the minimum number of posts. That being said, I suppose it would discourage a decent amount of shifty traders.

May 15, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #5 of 9
May 15, 2010 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 9
There used to be a 50 post minimum before you could post in the FS threads but that led to a lot of members with under 50 posts spamming to get to that number. I can't really think of a good way to prevent scams really. Some of them have been members with few posts but some of the best scammers have been members who have been here a while and have lots and lots of posts.

May 16, 2010 at 1:47 PM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
 There are FAR too many brand new members with ZERO feedback

Well, I'm not too sure I understand this since brand new members will always have zero feedback. Even old members will have zero feedback until they start selling something. I do agree though that there should be restrictions on who can sell stuff. In addition to a minimum post count, I also agree there should also be a waiting period, which I believe there was at one time. IMHO people should not be joining Head-Fi simply to sell stuff, and a waiting period may discourage someone whose sole intent is to do so.

May 16, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #8 of 9
As a newbie who is trying to legitimately sell something (and tried to buy a few items...heck I was first responder and got ZERO responses to PM's) I can address it from the other side. If you are an honest individual who is getting into Headphones, it makes it very difficult and a bit offputting. I tried to post an ad for some extra items (some new in the box Crowson Shakers) I have sitting around, the funds which will go toward headphone gear and the post is nowhere to be found. New members are essentially ignored when it comes to buying & selling and it is quite frankly annoying. I've been involved in the audio biz for over 30 years...I was selling used gear on BBS boards back before there really WAS a WWW...which dates the HECK out of me (if you don't know what a BBS board is, you need to get schooled in early Internet history). I've bought and sold items on E-Bay, AudioGon, AVS Forum, Craigslist, HiFi Classifieds and UBid...(when the last two were legit). I used to do it professionally as an audio business owner...now I do it with my own gear and strictly for fun and I'm seemingly locked out of buying or selling on the site because I'm new. I've tried to participate in a few discussions but not having much gear it is difficult to respond from experience...which is the entire reason I'm TRYING to sell and buy some stuff. Being around the gear for so many decades, I was jaded to say the least, but the headphone gear is the first thing which has sparked my ethusiasm for audio in a long time. I'd say let newbies post but require pictures of the ACTUAL items being sold and require a safe method of payment like Paypal with NO GIFT RECIEPT. Require a phone number and address if you want, heck if you are legit, you should have no problem giving it...I don't. Give us guys who are new and legit a chance.

May 17, 2010 at 4:05 AM Post #9 of 9
Yeah, I think we should have a minimum requirement. Like we did in the past.
Lets say they need to have been a member for 30, 60, 90, .. days and have a specific number of posts like ex. 100. That should eliminate most of the unserious ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back