Watts Up...?
Dec 17, 2023 at 1:16 PM Post #4,396 of 4,887
Or go the opposite direction.. let the player software incorporate your already designed volume protocol in its audio stream (but that would mean licensing out some IP)

Let them do the work..
Surely this can be done today in software? E. G. Using an Android app and letting the mobile control the volume. The issue then becomes the quality of the source audio as the stream is no longer bitperfect into HMS or the DAC.

Dec 17, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #4,397 of 4,887
Surely this can be done today in software? E. G. Using an Android app and letting the mobile control the volume. The issue then becomes the quality of the source audio as the stream is no longer bitperfect into HMS or the DAC.
It can though I would like bit perfect and to use Robs implementation of volume control.

I want 1 remote to control my hifi and currently my front end is Lumin. A dac fully supporting room means my Lumin remote controls the whole system (other than my Ultima power amps). The remote supplied with my Mscaler and TT2 are the worse remote controls I have ever owned and brands like Topping surpass them for £12 shipped to my door. This of course doesn't change the fact I love Robs dacs, I just want better integration with Roon so I can control it with my Lumin remote and via the Roon app.

I don't want a plastic Harmony either. My HiFi costs as much as a luxury car but the in hand feel is less than a £30 Amazon fire stick.

Sorry to come at this guns blazing, I'm sure my view won't change a thing haha.

Dec 17, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #4,398 of 4,887
It can though I would like bit perfect and to use Robs implementation of volume control.

I want 1 remote to control my hifi and currently my front end is Lumin. A dac fully supporting room means my Lumin remote controls the whole system (other than my Ultima power amps). The remote supplied with my Mscaler and TT2 are the worse remote controls I have ever owned and brands like Topping surpass them for £12 shipped to my door. This of course doesn't change the fact I love Robs dacs, I just want better integration with Roon so I can control it with my Lumin remote and via the Roon app.

I don't want a plastic Harmony either. My HiFi costs as much as a luxury car but the in hand feel is less than a £30 Amazon fire stick.

Sorry to come at this guns blazing, I'm sure my view won't change a thing haha
Agreed. The remotes Chord supply are rubbish. The original one for the DAVE even more so since it had loads of buttons nearly all of which didn’t work. You should at least be able to directly select an input. But the USB protocol allows volume control info to be passed to the DAC and music players like Roon and J River (and I am sure many others) support this so you can control the volume of an suitable DAC directly from whatever control app you are using on your tablet, phone or watch. It is hard to explain to my wife how she is able to control a £150 Sonos Roam from her phone, but she cant alter the volume on £12,000s worth of DAVE/MScaler without hunting for the remote control or having to walk over the the hifi. I guess software just isn’t Chords strength. Or good UI design.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:07 PM Post #4,399 of 4,887
Agreed. The remotes Chord supply are rubbish. The original one for the DAVE even more so since it had loads of buttons nearly all of which didn’t work. You should at least be able to directly select an input. But the USB protocol allows volume control info to be passed to the DAC and music players like Roon and J River (and I am sure many others) support this so you can control the volume of an suitable DAC directly from whatever control app you are using on your tablet, phone or watch. It is hard to explain to my wife how she is able to control a £150 Sonos Roam from her phone, but she cant alter the volume on £12,000s worth of DAVE/MScaler without hunting for the remote control or having to walk over the the hifi. I guess software just isn’t Chords strength. Or good UI design.
Thank you Andrew. I'm not the only one then.

Top priority is sound quality and John and his team know this. However for me 2nd is user experience and this is where they lag behind massively.

Chord do high end digital and should fully embrace premium control programs like the ones mentioned here. The fact Ultima Dac won't support USB volume control will likely mean I won't purchase it and its a shame as I bet it will sound sublime. If its to be a large outlay for me I have to truly love it and I can't if its not integrated.

Dec 17, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #4,400 of 4,887
Thank you Andrew. I'm not the only one then.

Top priority is sound quality and John and his team know this. However for me 2nd is user experience and this is where they lag behind massively.

Chord do high end digital and should fully embrace premium control programs like the ones mentioned here. The fact Ultima Dac won't support USB volume control will likely mean I won't purchase it and its a shame as I bet it will sound sublime. If its to be a large outlay for me I have to truly love it and I can't if its not integrated.
https://www.iglooaudio.co.uk/lumin-infrared-remote-control-package.html

This is an example of a brand doing UX right. Roon fully embraced and stunning remote.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #4,401 of 4,887
Since London CanJam I have been promising to publish my seminar slides. But after some helpful comments, I made some changes. Then as the CanJams slipped by, I kept trying to improve the seminars, by attempting to add pertinent points, and simplify overall. Anyway, Dallas was the last CanJam of the year (great show), so here are the updated seminars, starting with transients and interpolation filters. Please free to post for more clarification.

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Slide5.JPG

Slide6.JPG

Slide7.JPG

Slide8.JPG

Slide9.JPG

Slide10.JPG

Slide11.JPG

Slide12.JPG

One of the things I noticed very early on with WTA listening tests, was how a better WTA led to better instrument separation and focus.

I often talk about instrument separation and focus - it's an extremely important subjective attribute, as it's very important with interpolation filters, and totally dominant with noise floor modulation. Indeed, listening to this attribute will sort out the difference from hearing true transparency against poorer noise floor modulation.

What to I mean by instrument separation and focus? The instrument separation is obvious, but what about focus? This is where you listen to a very quiet instrument in the mix. As other louder instruments come in, the quiet instrument disappears - with better focus you can better hear the quiet instrument buried in the mix.

Slide13.JPG

Slide14.JPG

Slide15.JPG

Slide16.JPG

Slide17.JPG

Slide18.JPG

Slide19.JPG

Slide20.JPG

Slide21.JPG

Slide22.JPG

Slide23.JPG

Slide26.JPG

Slide27.JPG

The other slides follows as I have hit the limit...

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:23 AM Post #4,403 of 4,887
The other slides are here:

Slide28.JPG

Slide29.JPG

Slide30.JPG

Slide31.JPG

Slide32.JPG

Slide33.JPG

Slide34.JPG

Slide35.JPG

Slide36.JPG

Slide37.JPG

Slide38.JPG

Slide39.JPG

Slide40.JPG

Slide41.JPG

Slide42.JPG

Thanks for reading, I hope that made some kind of sense, as this is a complicated subject.

The DAC seminar will follow later in the day.

Thankyou for posting these!
Lets give my brain another attempt to wrap around it..

Dec 22, 2023 at 3:08 AM Post #4,404 of 4,887

So this is new as i remember from your previous findings..

Would this also mean that the internal sampling of 705.6/768khz inside your DAC's and Mscaler link must be increased to give room to go beyond 1,3us timing?

You once said this SR was 'the sweet spot'

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #4,409 of 4,887

I hope that you found that useful.

And have a merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year. Lets hope peace breaks out next year...

Happy listening Rob
Rob, I'm wondering if you have any experience in using any of the large language model AIs as a tool in your theoretical probing investigations and whether or not you think as AI rapidly advances in capability it will affect top end designers of audio equipment like yourself to probe new ways of thinking about signal processing. All the best for the holidays from a very satisfied DAVE owner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back