watts and ohms
Apr 26, 2002 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 18
If you are a objectivist, then spec to some degree can determine the quality.

Let me first explain the spec. Typical power spec is in RMS and at a certain THD. For layman, this really not important. The important part is amp's ability to drive a low impedance load. The impedance of a speaker chnages over frequency. At low frequency the impedance might be as low as 1 or 2 ohm. If your amp does not have the current to drive it, bass will be loose and high will seem to be breaking up.

The Linn amp you refer to has 50 W @8 Ohm and 80W @ 4 ohm that tells me the amp is capable. Another good thing to know is how much power supply capacitor it has. My amp (Adcom) for example will keep playing for a few sec even after I turn off.

The other type of spec is slew rate. Low slew rate will have a impact on sax, drums etc and cause transcient distortion.

I think Linn as a reputable company should make a decent amp. I think the amp will do quite well. There is no spec that can determine the amp susceptibility to noise (RFI/EMI). You indicate your old amp has a lot of noise and it is very loud.

This could be caused by ground loop, RFI (radio station), EMI (near by computer printer, light?)

Do a search on RFI nad noise and you'll find even good equipment could experience noise. Lots of headfier had this problem before.

In conclusion, I think Linn is fine spec wise. But I don't know it will work in your basement.

Apr 26, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #17 of 18
At the beginning of the amplifier specifications it says.

All sensitivities for 20Vrms output (50w per 8 ohms) at 1kHz at maximum volume.

No mentioning of "slew".

Power Consumption 300VA maximum. 15W idling.

Looks like it is a good buy. The price is'nt bad either $244
biggrin.gif

Apr 26, 2002 at 10:53 PM Post #18 of 18
I think it's good buy for an integrated amp.

Slew rate is specified as V/us. It is a measurement of how fast the amp can reproduce a signal. If you go to the DYI forum, you'll see a lot of discussion on speed of the amp and that's slew rate.

Some instrument has very fast rise time (attack), with a slow amp that will not sound good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back