Warner Remasters...
Aug 19, 2001 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pigmode

Truck-Fi
I recently got the Warner remaster (comes with a distinctive gold sticker) of Madonna's first CD. Don't laugh; what I was after was the ultimate version of Borderline. Anyway, they totally screwed Borderline up. Huge chunks of music are missing. In some ways it is greatly improved, but the editorializing they've done has ruined the song imo.

Anyway, I recently saw a few Van Halen remasters with the same gold stickers. I want to buy a few, but if they've changed the music then it's not worth it for me. There's just no way to know what you're getting till you get it.

Caveat emptor: there seems to be as many valid remasters out there, as there are crappy versions that are just scams for sucking in the audio enthusiast.

cheers

Aug 19, 2001 at 7:48 PM Post #2 of 3
I have one Van Halen HDCD Warner remaster and like it compared to the original. I don't notice anything so drastic as actual music editing. However besides being slightly cleaner and a bit louder, it is not TOO much an improvement. The increase in volume however did not mean a sacrifice in more compression as I find the CD to still be dynamic if not more so.

I'd have to listen to both again to make sure, but all I know is that I was not dissapointed. It also has much better CD art if that matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back