wanting to upgrade from the ATH-M50, but where to start?
Nov 19, 2014 at 1:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Xelphos

New Head-Fier
I am no audiophile but I do like to listen to music in the best possible quality. I started with some crappy headphones (Razer Electra), then watched MKBHD's video on the ATH-M50s and decided to buy them, love them, but now I want something better if possible. Is there any headphones that anyone would recommend to someone who currently has the ATH-M50s? I have a budget of around 350-400$. As for what I listen to, everything.

Go easy on me, I'm new here. =P

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:04 AM Post #2 of 8
I am no audiophile but I do like to listen to music in the best possible quality. I started with some crappy headphones (Razer Electra), then watched MKBHD's video on the ATH-M50s and decided to buy them, love them, but now I want something better if possible. Is there any headphones that anyone would recommend to someone who currently has the ATH-M50s? I have a budget of around 350-400$. As for what I listen to, everything.
Go easy on me, I'm new here. =P

At around $200 you going to start finding headphones with a more balanced sound, then the bass heavy ATH-M50s.
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

Nov 19, 2014 at 3:16 AM Post #3 of 8
If you are not familiar with the different sound signatures, you should do some homework on the subject.  After that it would be very instructive to listen to cans that have the sound signatures in which your are interested.  You can accomplish this at stores in your area, through friends or perhaps by attending a Head-Fi meet.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #4 of 8

At around $200 you going to start finding headphones with a more balanced sound, then the bass heavy ATH-M50s.
What sources will you be plugging the headphones into?
Does it matter if the headphones are open or closed?

I would prefer closed back, I have heard a lot of good things about open back headphones, but with my house hold I would hardly get to enjoy them because of the noise from the rest of the house.

Will be using my PCs audio jack (Asus VI Formula), for now anyways.

If you are not familiar with the different sound signatures, you should do some homework on the subject.  After that it would be very instructive to listen to cans that have the sound signatures in which your are interested.  You can accomplish this at stores in your area, through friends or perhaps by attending a Head-Fi meet.

I know what I want for the different levels like bass, treble and so on (If that is what you are asking). I want something more flat and clear. I would love to go to an audio store and test out different headphones, but the closest one is 4 hours east of me, and there is no way I can get someone to drive me there.

Nov 19, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #5 of 8
  I would prefer closed back, I have heard a lot of good things about open back headphones, but with my house hold I would hardly get to enjoy them because of the noise from the rest of the house.
Will be using my PCs audio jack (Asus VI Formula), for now anyways.
I know what I want for the different levels like bass, treble and so on (If that is what you are asking). I want something more flat and clear. I would love to go to an audio store and test out different headphones, but the closest one is 4 hours east of me, and there is no way I can get someone to drive me there.

You motherboard's on-board audio uses a CS4398 DAC chip and the Ti 6120A2 headphone amplifier.
So for audio quality, you have the best on-board hardware you can get, may not be the best for headphone surround sound (for FPS gaming), but the best for audio quality.
For your budget you might be able to find some used Beyerdynamic T70 250-Ohm headphones or get new Mr Speaker Mad Dogs.

Could even get some used Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250-Ohm for less the $150.
Maybe Audio Technica ATH-A900X, around $150-$160.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:32 PM Post #6 of 8

OK--but it is unclear what your baseline is.  For us its a neutral headphone or sound signature.  Is your baseline the M50--which is not a neutral headphone?  It is certainly more neutral than a Beats can, but it has a "v" shaped sound signature.

The DT 770 gives you the same sound signature as the M50, but in an enhanced manner--the "V" is more pronounced in the Beyer can.

Nov 19, 2014 at 4:34 PM Post #7 of 8

OK--but it is unclear what your baseline is.  For us its a neutral headphone or sound signature.  Is your baseline the M50--which is not a neutral headphone?  It is certainly more neutral than a Beats can, but it has a "v" shaped sound signature.

The DT 770 gives you the same sound signature as the M50, but in an enhanced manner--the "V" is more pronounced in the Beyer can.

So the M50 are not flat? I was always told they were flat, I could never really find good info on the matter so I just went with what I as told. In this case I guess my baseline would be the M50.

I think I have to rethink this a bit. I want to be able to hear every thing in my music, and enjoy it.

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #8 of 8
Id recommend the Focal Spirit Pro. Its clearer, more neutral and a bettet soundstage than M50. You will hear everything in your music, even stuff you may not want, such as badly mastered tracks. They arent as forgiving of bad quality as the M50. But thats a natural sounding headphone that is a very good upgrade to the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back