Want to upgrade my Desktop, but not sure where to go
Jun 20, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
I recently got an early 2006 Desktop amp with the Desktop power supply.
It has the "Max" Amp module with the older buffers and the "Home" Dac.
Thinking about an upgrade, but not sure which option would be best.

Using my Marantz SA-11S1 CD player as a source and Sennheiser HD-650 with Cardas recable.

Currently, I get better sound using the analog inputs on the amp rather than the digital inputs.
IOW, the DAC in my Marantz is much better than the "Home" DAC in the Desktop.

I have a few options.

1. Do nothing and use it as is. Cheapest thing I can do.
Downsides:
I have to climb behind the rack & swap cables when I want to listen to speakers.
I don't have the latest "Diamond" buffers in the amp module that are supposed to sound better.
I have a DAC that I paid money for and don't use.

2. Send the amp in for an upgrade to a Max Dac.
Downside: Costs $500 and I still won't have the latest amp buffers.

3. Buy a new Ultra Desktop and sell the 06 with the Astrodyne. Keep the Desktop Power supply for the Ultra.
Concern: Will the Max Dac be as good or better than the Marantz Dac?
Downside: Cost and hassle of selling the 06.

4. Buy new Balanced Ultra Desktop (the Marantz has single ended & balanced outputs). Keep Desktop power supply. Sell the 06 with the Astrodyne.
Downside: Cost and hassle of selling the 06, buying balanced interconnects, reteminating the headpone cable.

So...
Anyone have an idea of which option would be my best choice?
TIA
TR

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently got an early 2006 Desktop amp with the Desktop power supply.
It has the "Max" Amp module with the older buffers and the "Home" Dac.
Thinking about an upgrade, but not sure which option would be best.

Using my Marantz SA-11S1 CD player as a source and Sennheiser HD-650 with Cardas recable.

Currently, I get better sound using the analog inputs on the amp rather than the digital inputs.
IOW, the DAC in my Marantz is much better than the "Home" DAC in the Desktop.

I have a few options.

1. Do nothing and use it as is. Cheapest thing I can do.
Downsides:
I have to climb behind the rack & swap cables when I want to listen to speakers.
I don't have the latest "Diamond" buffers in the amp module that are supposed to sound better.
I have a DAC that I paid money for and don't use.

2. Send the amp in for an upgrade to a Max Dac.
Downside: Costs $500 and I still won't have the latest amp buffers.

3. Buy a new Ultra Desktop and sell the 06 with the Astrodyne. Keep the Desktop Power supply for the Ultra.
Concern: Will the Max Dac be as good or better than the Marantz Dac?
Downside: Cost and hassle of selling the 06.

4. Buy new Balanced Ultra Desktop (the Marantz has single ended & balanced outputs). Keep Desktop power supply. Sell the 06 with the Astrodyne.
Downside: Cost and hassle of selling the 06, buying balanced interconnects, reteminating the headpone cable.

So...
Anyone have an idea of which option would be my best choice?
TIA
TR

Upgrading to the Max from the Home DAC isn't a huge difference. If you are completely convinced of your preference for the Marantz, the Home - Max DAC won't change that.

I think the Max Modules with the Diamond Buffer output stage are clearly improved versus the older design - this is a worthwhile upgrade.

So that leaves a question of the best way to do so. If you have an interest in balanced drive, the BUDA is obviously the best choice, and yes, keep the DPS.

If you wish to stay single ended, you can have the modules changed, or sell and replace with the Ultra Desktop. I would expect that your most cost-effective option there is to keep what you have and get the modules upgraded. There is no other difference between your amp and the current Ultra Desktop (single ended), save the Max DAC that I suspect you still won't find yourself using.

Jun 20, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think the Max Modules with the Diamond Buffer output stage are clearly improved versus the older design - this is a worthwhile upgrade.

Unfortunately that's also a $500 upgrade!
Thanks for the advice. Any other opinions?
TY? You awake out there?
TR

Jun 20, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Any other opinions?
TY? You awake out there?

Yeah, I thought the Sloth's comment were good.

Climbing behind your stereo to swap cables has me a bit confused. Do you have a "tape out" on your pre-amp? I would think you could use some splitters to send the output from the CD player to both.

Jun 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #5 of 8
BUDA would be my choice too, its amazing sounding.

I fully enjoyed the HD800 + BUDA at CJ09...in fact it was prob my favorite of all the setups.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:39 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I thought the Sloth's comment were good.

Climbing behind your stereo to swap cables has me a bit confused. Do you have a "tape out" on your pre-amp? I would think you could use some splitters to send the output from the CD player to both.

Hey Ty, thanks for the reply.
No, there's no tape out on the pre-amp, wish there was. I'm connecting directly to the CD player. I don't like splitters. I haven't used one that didn't compromise the sound for both components.

Jun 20, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BUDA would be my choice too, its amazing sounding.

I fully enjoyed the HD800 + BUDA at CJ09...in fact it was prob my favorite of all the setups.

That's good to hear.
The BUDA seems like the logical choice. I tried the standard balanced desktop amp last year and it was ok, but I ended up returning it.

TY?
Are there any other differences between the standard balanced amp & the ultra balanced amp apart from the modules, that would affect the sound?
TR

Jun 22, 2009 at 3:50 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Are there any other differences between the standard balanced amp & the ultra balanced amp apart from the modules, that would affect the sound?
TR

Hmmm ... not really. The relays in the unit allow it to keep the signal paths a little shorter, but realistically that's no big deal. It's mostly the modules, but that's a pretty big difference to my ears. Those 627s are just lovely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back