Want to buy a DAC
Aug 16, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by StephenFSC
Can all of you suggest other DACs which is suitable for connecting to my RME Soundcard to me??
580smile.gif

(under US$1500
biggrin.gif
)

ack for a second i thought it said "under $150" and i was about to recommend the ART DI/O...nm!

Aug 17, 2004 at 7:22 PM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
Yes, I've come to the same conclusion about many of our fellow head-fi'ers.
eek.gif

Yeah, after looking at some of the outrageously large headphone/source/amp inventories of some of the head-fi'ers, that would be my conclusion as well. That reminds me, I've got some equipment I need to get rid of ...

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:22 PM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
I would definitely add a DAC to your system as opposed to a new soundcard. You will notice a greater improvement with an outboard DAC as opposed to a soundcard upgrade. That said, I have a Bel Canto DAC2 (retail US$1300) which I enjoy very, very much. I'm sure the Benchmark DAC1 is also a very good choice. It's a matter of taste, really.

- Chris

I agree, but you can do a lot better than the Bel Canto. I have heard them stock and modded. Good bass control, but they just dont seem to deliver the magic. My personal reference is the Perpetual Tech. P-3A with extensive mods. Another great one, even stock is the Electrocompaniet ECD-1.

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:25 PM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by tiberian
yea exactly, many high end DACs are immune to jitter (mine are, so does the bel canto), sell the RME, buy a chaintech and use the leftover to fund the purchase
wink.gif

I have never found a DAC yet that is immune to jitter. Some are less sensitive, but none are immune. A transport with low-jitter always makes a difference with these so-called jitter-free DAC's.

Aug 18, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr
I have never found a DAC yet that is immune to jitter. Some are less sensitive, but none are immune. A transport with low-jitter always makes a difference with these so-called jitter-free DAC's.

You may be technically right, but there will come a point where for all practical purposes the DAC will be (to our imperfect hearing) immune to jitter. There will come a point where the difference is so tiny that the average person won't notice it.

Aug 19, 2004 at 12:07 AM Post #54 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr
... Another great one, even stock is the Electrocompaniet ECD-1.

Have you heard the ECD-1, stock or modded? If so, what did you think of it? Here in Europe it seems quite good value new in comparison with the Bel Canto and the Benchmark. OTOH, I plan to use a Squeezebox as "transport", so the Benchmark is attractive because of its jitter reduction, and I can't find any into on how well the Electrocompaniet deals with jitter (nor on the quality of the Squeezebox digital out).

Jonathan.

Aug 19, 2004 at 1:25 AM Post #55 of 56
I think audioengr is Steve N from Empirical audio who has posted on his website and audioasylum about the ECD-1 and Bel Canto mods that he does on them and how they sound before and after. I would like to see him evaluate a Benchmark DAC1 and how it compares to the others.

Aug 19, 2004 at 4:52 PM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Griffin
Have you heard the ECD-1, stock or modded? If so, what did you think of it? Here in Europe it seems quite good value new in comparison with the Bel Canto and the Benchmark. OTOH, I plan to use a Squeezebox as "transport", so the Benchmark is attractive because of its jitter reduction, and I can't find any into on how well the Electrocompaniet deals with jitter (nor on the quality of the Squeezebox digital out).

Jonathan.

You bet. The ECD-1 is one of the best stock DAC's. it's primary deficiency is a bit of HF sibilance, which sounds like reverberation filling in the background. This is a result of a poor digital input design. Excellent once modded. The reverberation is gone and has excellent dynamics, but it still has a characteristic "warm" sound. Bel Canto is not even close. Have never heard a Benchmark, but I would be very surprised if it was close in performance. I woudl not put too much stock in the jitter reduction claims. Lots of DAC's claim this and dont do it very well. The ECD-1 is not as accurate to the source as the modded Perpetual P-3A, particularly on piano. Very good bass response though, and has balanced outputs.

Virtually every S/PDIF interface on the market should be modded, Transports and PCI cards alike. Very few are actually 75 ohms output impedance and the edge-rates are very slow, adding to the jitter. This is because they must pass emissions regulations in Europe, Canada and the US. See my article on S/PDIF cable length at:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue14/spdif.htm

Steve N.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back