VR headsets 2016
Jun 8, 2016 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

oqvist

Headphoneus Supremus
Call me disappointed but no VR thread?

After seven sorrows managing to setup my HTC Vive. You truly feels like an early adopter. Who say pioneer life was easy?
I still can´t get the camera to work but otherwise the parts appear to be well built. I only have a measly 7970 to play with but this is certainly the future of entertainment.
The biggest frustration is my limited space for roomscale? The day you can walk around freely in a gymnastic  hall or something wow! Now ever to often I get reminded of the real world but still roomscale is amazing.

Sitting experience in Live for speed again wow. Resolution which is a big con really show here though good enough to have a lot of fun but not to be 100 % competititive! But running that small gokart like formula was just about a 1:1 experience with real gokart!

Aug 21, 2016 at 12:06 PM Post #2 of 5
This is fascinating. No interest whatsoever in VR headsets over here in the gaming section. I mean it´s a very old gaming dream isn´t it to be entirely engulfed in virtual worlds.

Aug 23, 2016 at 6:12 PM Post #3 of 5
Well hello Grandmaster Oqvist 
biggrin.gif

I have the DK2 Oculus headset. First time I put it on it literally blew my mind, the demo was in a little house by the river and when I entered the house I could sense the depth and height of everything around me. I walked up the stairs and was afraid to fall off the railing! I couldn't believe it really. My system was truly lacking sufficient power to properly play certain demos but still I could play some with no lag and smooth motion. I have never tried HTC Vive but I imagine it works on similar principles. The only problem I had while playing half-life was I got motion sickness really bad, which kind of ruined the experience for me. If they can fix that and make it seem more natural then that is the future of gaming and entertainment in my opinion. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #4 of 5
If you think this is early adopter stuff, try getting into '90s VR with something like a VFX1, which was also tied to an ISA card that also relied on a VESA feature connector for graphics passthrough. No 3dfx for you!

Today's Rift and Vive are easy mode by comparison, not to mention clearly two decades more advanced and with the benefit of having software designed specifically for their use, as opposed to, say, slapping stereo 3D and head-tracker support into an existing game like System Shock, Descent or Quake.

I've had my Rift for a few months (pre-ordered on day one, delivered mid-May), and I certainly can't go back for vehicular sims now. Cockpits just feel flat and lifeless on a monitor, resolution advantage be damned, and TrackIR's really twitchy and unreliable by comparison. But the software support's still a bit lacking, as you'd expect this early on.

I also wish they used DisplayPort since the Rift doesn't even use the audio part of HDMI to begin with and I'm constantly juggling my GTX 980's lone HDMI port with the Rift and my secondary monitor. I'm gonna need a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter.

Aug 29, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 5
Yeah I did jump those old VR headsets though I was close to getting some VGA headsets. The real game support never really seem to come and I didn´t really have the funds anyway back then.

I just did my first online race. GT 3 Spa in Assetto Corsa with 21 well prepared racers so real it´s insane. For sure 2D painting racing can´t really compare. The day the endurance sims support VR is the last day I will support a sim that don´t have VR support. 

Also that you can step out on the track and walk about it feels like you are walking on the moon or something. From your living room to another world so convincing talk about space travel :). You don´t need to do anything just be there. Sadly it seems it´s not for everyone. Motion sickness I am immune to it but if you suffers from it I am not sure there is any real way around it completly. I can get dizzy of course primarily flying choppers in all kind of directions at once or getting into a flat spin in a P51 but as soon as it stops the uneasiness goes away it never lingers like it do for some. 

Most my issues with the Rift and Vive is ironed out by now but not all. They still throw some odd curve balls at you but I obviously did the right thing to go all in. 

Vive do have a displayport input but it´s not functioning not on X 1080 anyway. I believe there may be a fix for that in the future. I use a DVI to HDMI adapter currently. I bought X 1080 based on price otherwise I would got one with two hdmi ports directly.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back