Virtual Dynamics Genesis 1.1 Power Cable - first impressions
Aug 29, 2008 at 2:07 AM Post #106 of 117
I plugged my muddy EMU into my power conditioning setup and the bass got HUGE and tight with more details! It sounds crazy! My stomach is vibrating.

Using separate boxes is only better when using the same tweaks for them.

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:43 AM Post #107 of 117
I removed my laptop from the power conditioning setup and plugged it into the wall with stock cable. It got colder and brighter with less bass. Even when using USB soundcard the laptop needs power conditioning. But the difference wasn't that big.

Then I added a Genesis power cable between the stock cable of EMU and power conditioning setup. I'm hearing crazy HUGE bass with more bass information. Adding Genesis into the path improves the sound. I hear that with every component, maybe it has something to do with the magnets around the Genesis, it buffers the AC somehow.

1) EMU with stock cable and laptop with Genesis, both plugged into power conditioning setup.
2) EMU with Genesis plugged into power conditioning setup. Laptop plugged to wall with stock power cable.

These setups sound about the same overall. The EMU benefits the most from tweaks since the headphones are plugged into it.

I got the same results from my HD590 setup as for my K1000 setup. With the K1000 setup I used DAC and desktop transport, I found that both components require the same power conditioning setup to double the resolution. It's almost the same with the HD590 setup with EMU and laptop, except the HD590 can be driven directly from the laptop. K1000 can't be driven from the desktop soundcard, it needs the 6vrms output of dCS Elgar Plus DAC, that's the reason I use a 2 box setup for my K1000. I would use a single box setup otherwise!

As long as the juice output is right, adding more boxes aren't needed! My favorite setup is HD590 from laptop running on battery, very cheap.
For my K1000 setup I need to go extreme until it gets acceptable. But for other headphones that can be driven from a computer soundcard, it's good enough, just put the computer levitating with Magix, and plug it in with Genesis power cable. A single box setup is the future of headphones, definitely.

Edit: I tried the Premier Power Plant's CleanWave function for EMU now and it made a HUGE improvement!! Very silky vocals OMG!!

The EMU uses less watts than the laptop so it's best to plug that into the Premier Power Plant. The component that draws the least watts needs the power conditioning setup! I got the same results from my K1000 system. dCS Elgar Plus DAC draws less watts than my desktop computer, both gave almost equal improvements from the power conditioning, but I chose to plug my DAC into the power conditioner instead because it gave a slight improvement, it was because of the lower wattage draw!

When I was using laptop + HD590 plugged into the Premier Power Plant I could hear the added distortion of the Premier because of big wattage draw. I believe the battery of the laptop was slightly better than power conditioning because of this reason. More watts = more noise.

Aug 29, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #108 of 117
Ok, this is crazy. I thought vibration isolation for the laptop wasn't needed since I'm running an USB soundcard with all tweaks on it. I removed the vibration isolation and placed the laptop on the table. The bass was reduced and it sounded edgy and fatiguing. I moved the laptop back to my vibration isolation (Feet of Silence + Magix) and got crazy bass and smoothness! ALL components need to have the best tweaks.

Nov 1, 2008 at 9:25 PM Post #109 of 117
I have sold my PS Audio power conditioners and dCS sources and I'm using laptop with EMU0404 USB soundcard and HD590 headphones.

I have Genesis power cables and extension strip now. I did some testing, first I daisy chained two Genesis together and plugged my EMU USB into that. Then I removed one Genesis from the path and it sounded bright, edgy, sibilant, thin, empty, muddy with lack of resolution. When I added the 2nd Genesis I got huge bass and warmth, the sibilance was greatly reduced and there was more low-level detail!
I further daisy chained a 3rd Genesis but there was no significant improvement in bass, however, it sounded too grey and a little slow. I found that two Genesis daisy chained together gave the best performance for EMU soundcard. The same should be true for other components as well.
Plugging a Genesis between wall and extension strip, and a Genesis for each component should be enough.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:22 AM Post #110 of 117
How you daisy chained ? With adaptors ?

Why not use 1 genesis from the wall to your component ?

While your laptop can run on battery, you don't need Genesis on that.
You only need 1 genesis from wall to your dac and you done.

Sell that student DAC (EMU) and get something better
Same with HD590 ... :xf_cool:

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:33 AM Post #111 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How you daisy chained ? With adaptors ?

Yes, adapters from VH Audio.

pcburn-in.jpg

Quote:

Why not use 1 genesis from the wall to your component ?

While your laptop can run on battery, you don't need Genesis on that.
You only need 1 genesis from wall to your dac and you done.

When I was using power conditioners I didn't hear a difference from daisy chaining multiple Genesis together. But without power conditioners I got better sound from two Genesis daisy chained together.

But the best bang for buck is a single Genesis for the DAC and having the laptop running on battery like you said.

Quote:

Sell that student DAC (EMU) and get something better
Same with HD590 ... :xf_cool:

I have used dCS sources costing $30 000+, I don't need anything better than EMU soundcard. The Genesis power cable makes such a positive difference, it's the best value in audio.

Nov 2, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #112 of 117
I haven't heard a Genesis so I can't said you worng or not.

Even a good powercord on my DAC... never fix enough for me to like the product as much as my internal soundcard (189$) with a stock powercord on my PC.

A powercord is not magical .. it's a filter ... battery give clean electricity ... will probably a good idea to transform a DAC to use battery instead AC from the wall. While DAC don't require a lot of electricity, I think can be something interesting to check.

Nov 2, 2008 at 3:14 AM Post #113 of 117
Without any tweaks for the EMU I didn't want to listen to music for many weeks because it sounded so bad. Then I plugged in a couple daisy chained Genesis and suddenly I could listen 8 hours per day for a week. The improvement is that big. If I want to listen the whole day, it doesn't matter what the price of the component is.

It doesn't matter if battery is better if the juice runs out too soon. You want to listen longer and then it gets annoying...

About the headphones, I have found that HD590 vs K1000 is just a side step to a different flavor, it doesn't really improve much. Both of them show huge differences from tweaks so they are both good enough.
Genesis power cables, Magix levitation feet, ERS Paper and RGC-24 Ground Conditioners give the real improvements. However, with ERS Paper the synergy becomes worse when using other headphones than K1000. For HD590 I have removed all ERS Paper...it made it edgier which compensated for the boominess of the pads.

Nov 2, 2008 at 4:19 AM Post #114 of 117
Where you put Magix ?

Computer have nothing to do with that if you transmit wifi or optical.

Magix for your EMU ? But not moving parts ... don't think will do something.

Am I worng ?

Did you tried somes tricks to replace the Magix (like butcher wood plate, speaker stand, sands and put some weight on your component ... ?

Magix are pretty expansive ... in theory, it's just something to limited vibrations and absorb them. It's used opposite magnet ... not sure it's good to put magnet under a component ... for sure, that will hurt the sound.

Nov 2, 2008 at 5:48 PM Post #115 of 117
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really considering selling my entire K1000 setup to buy a custom Judge power cable ($25k) to plug into my computer and use HD590 from EMU0404 soundcard. That's how good Genesis is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick82 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I compared my dCS rig + K1000 against my laptop + HD590. I like the sound of my laptop more, so I'm selling my dCS rig for peanut price (send PM if interested to buy). I will upgrade into Virtual Dynamics Judge power cable and plug it into laptop.

Ok, I have sold my K1000 rig and ordered Judge power cable.

Nov 2, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #116 of 117
Quote:

Where you put Magix ?

Computer have nothing to do with that if you transmit wifi or optical.

Magix for your EMU ? But not moving parts ... don't think will do something.

Am I worng ?

Did you tried somes tricks to replace the Magix (like butcher wood plate, speaker stand, sands and put some weight on your component ... ?

Magix are pretty expansive ... in theory, it's just something to limited vibrations and absorb them. It's used opposite magnet ... not sure it's good to put magnet under a component ... for sure, that will hurt the sound.

I have used Toslink from computer for many years and I have tried different tweaks. 4 Magix under computer case and 1 Magix under the PSU is the best. The brightness turns into more resolution and it sounds silky smooth.

I have found that Magix alone isn't enough, there needs to be mass damping on top of the component too. The perfect setup is a levitating component that is as heavy as possible.

All solid-state components have electrons that are moving inside. If nothing was moving or vibrating there would be no sound. The whole Universe is vibrating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back