vinyl recording
Feb 3, 2006 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

PaulV

New Head-Fier
when recording vinyl, is it better to record at 96khz 24 bit to capture the highest detail and downsample to cd audio and risk introducing artifacts on downsample, or is it better to record at 44khz 16 bit direct, therefore capturing less detail but not having any down sampling atifacts?
i`m using sonic stage 8.0 to downsample at highest settings posible.

Feb 3, 2006 at 5:19 PM Post #2 of 6
It's probably best to record at 44.1 and 24 bits. Increased sampling rate might help for ultrasonics (if you can even hear them), but is pointless for a CD transfer and will negatively affect noise performance. You may be able to get away with 44/16 if your peaks are in the -5 to -10db range. A lot of 3rd party declick tools require 44/16 and it's kind of a pain to have to convert.

Feb 3, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 6
why not record to DSD master on a DVD-R/W media. That way you will maintain the analogity of vinyl on a more permanent medium.

Feb 4, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 6
PaulIV: Your card will probably do a better job at 24/96 - and I'd also recommend to use that setting, if you plan to manipulate the sound before writing to cd.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Feb 4, 2006 at 8:50 AM Post #6 of 6
my current vinyl recording routine is thus:
RPM4 & ortofon om10 into Creative X-Fi elite pro vinyl input
record at 24 bit 96 khz resolution
normalise one side equal to the other ( it`s not to bad, but just in case )
Do a noise reduction on the floor noise using a sample from the begining of the lead in.
normalise upto about -13.5 Db
compress any thing above -1.5 Db by 1:2 (incase a few odd clicks breach my ceiling for EQing, usually nothing is above -1.5, but it`s to avoid digital distortion in next stage )
EQ to make high`s a little more transient ( +1Db ) and kick drums a little livlier ( +2db )
Equalise again a little more aain to bring it to a decent volume.
downsample to 44/16 for Cd burning.
all using soundforge 8.0 using Project rpm 4, creative X-FI and ortofon om 10 (soon to be 20)

the result is what I believe to be a VERY good quality sound file, that sounds very good on Cd systems, MP3 players, Minidisc and especially played out in clubs (I DJ)

i know it`s not perfect and spending an extra £500 on a tube amp and such will result in a better sound, but i`m not in that kinda league and the sound from this system is perfect for me. i`ve put the old phono stage and stylus up on ebay to fund a new om20.

i was just wondering if i`m better doing all this in direct 44/16 and cutting out the downsample or any other ideas for simple improvements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back