Vinyl noobie NEEDS HELP!!
Jul 4, 2003 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bundee1

Headphoneus Supremus
I just bought a Music Hall mmf 2.1 and the instructions that come with it are crap. Im trying to balance the tonearm/set the tracking weight. The instructions say to put the counterweight on by turning counterclockwise, then adjusting the weight until the tonearm floats freely and parallel to platter.

1) When I put the weight on and turn it there is a point it pops and turns more smoothly. Is it supposed to be pop?

2) When Im balancing the arm is the cueing lever supposed to be up or down?

If its up I cant get the tonearm parallel. If its down I acheive the parallel and floating part but the counterweight seems to be too far back ( before the popping area mentioned before). After I adjust it to the recommended tracking force it does pass the popping area, though.

Please, please, please help me.

Jul 4, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #2 of 4
You're OK; balance it with the cueing down. Then apply the tracking force specified for your cartridge (best done with a gauge, but don't sweat that). The pop point on the arm doesn't matter so long as you have the tracking force right.

Soon there will be music!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 5, 2003 at 2:31 AM Post #4 of 4
All turntable owners, especially Music Hall ones, should have the $20 stylus pressure gauge from Shure. At www.audioadvisor.com .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back