(Vintage) DAC with AES/EBU digital in - looking for options
Jul 28, 2022 at 4:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

amiga505

Head-Fier
hello. I am still, albeit in a more relaxed fashion, trying out the sources. my DDI currently has the AES/EBU output free (coaxial and optical are in use, it also has an i2S RJ45 output, but I am not sure I am ready to dive into that), I would therefore appreciate recommendations of DACs with AES/EBU input I could try. there are some conditions: first and foremost, price around 300-400 EUR tops, I am ready to go used and vintage, would probably even prefer to go vintage. then, they have to be built around 'interesting' chips, like the older R2R chips (another argument for vintage) or the newer non-ESS chips like AKM or PCM/DSD1796. lastly, they have to have single-ended output, although balanced XLR is a plus.

in terms of DACs I have experience with Geshelli J2, a humble Topping D30 (OG, not Pro - in hindsight pretty punchy, detailed, fast, but somehow... plastic-y?), Chinese PCM56-based DAC which pairs well with my tube speaker amp and the Audio-GD R2R 11 which I really liked, but could not live with the clicks during the sampling rate changes, so returned. sound-wise the R2R 11 is something I am aiming at, I listen to a lot of vocal music and jazz, less so to hip-hop and electronica.

so far I have identified the following: Parasound D/AC 1100 and Musical Fidelity M1. Behringer SRC2496 looks interesting, but it only has balanced XLR outputs.

thank you.

Aug 1, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 9
thanks, good hint. incidentally, there is one on sale now here in Europe for EUR 300. interestingly, almost all the historic sales I see on HiFi Shark here in Europe are from Italy, 200 EUR seems to be the usual price.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #4 of 9
I've never owned one, but I know Adcom units seem to still be very well received. If you do decide to buy one, or any other vintage DAC, make sure you consider your options if it needs servicing and plan that into your price.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:02 AM Post #6 of 9
Tried looking at the classifieds? Use the currency filter to Euros.

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #8 of 9
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back