Videogame tunes
Nov 13, 2001 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gloco

Only one ban in 5000 attempts!
I just noticed a post about anime music and figured, why i never posted one up for Game music. I own quite a bunch of cds, a lot of Final Fantasy, Chronotrigger, Y's, Dracula, and many others. Does anyone else here collect game soundtracks? I also have a lot of midis and other digital formats (for modplayer). What are your thoughts?

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 1:14 AM Post #2 of 15
Not yet, I'm planning on getting a bunch, including FFIV: Celtic Wind, the later ***, F-Zero, Space Channel 5, Jet Grind Radio, and... COOL, I just remembered the soundtrack to Alice is out now, yes!

For now, just the FFIV soundtrack.

Nov 13, 2001 at 1:46 AM Post #3 of 15
Cool, check out this site: www.gamemusic.com if you haven't tried it already.

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 15
Wasn't there an entire thread dedicated to game soundtracks?
wink.gif

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 15
Uh (shrugs) I dunno...is there?!

Nov 13, 2001 at 5:31 AM Post #6 of 15
Yup... useful thing, that search engine.
tongue.gif

At least the topic of this one is slightly different...

Nov 13, 2001 at 6:14 AM Post #7 of 15
Yep, found that thread, pretty interesting..thought i was the only nut who listened to Midi's of videogame tracks from the NES days..lol. Final Fantasy I was pretty amazing for its time. As was Phantasy Star II, Sword of Vermilion, Chronotrigger, Landstalker, Metroid, Wonderboy in Monsterland (arcade), Streets of rage (I and II), Secret Of Mana, Shadowrun SNES, Battle of Olympus and Donkey Kong Country. Great soundtracks! Any thoughts?

George

Nov 13, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #8 of 15
I adore the Chronotrigger soundtrack; it's one of my favorites. Of the others that you mentioned, Gloco, I really like the Streets of Rage soundtracks (the first two).

Do you follow the composers at all?

Also, have you ever heard NSF / SPC files? They are direct rips of the music used in the games of NES / SNES respectively. Plugins for things like winamp are available. Useful for when an official soundtrack was never released, like, say, with Actraiser 2.

Nov 13, 2001 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 15
Hey, unfortunately i havent followed the composers. But i did collect digitial files which are like those spc files. Files lik .xm, .s3m, and .it. I use modplug with mod4winplayer and have tons of mod files. I also collect roms and emulators so the spc stuff is right up my alley (i have winspc). Cool stuff eh? Its a shame many games go without a soundtrack. Shadowrun and landstalker are my most sought after soundtracks, very tough to find anything from amateur composers.

George

ps. streets of rage 2 was officially released a few months back...i picked up a copy of it, good stuff.

Nov 14, 2001 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 15
Hmm, that is interesting, i have some rare, out of print Y'3 soundtracks, i got them from soundtrackcentral from an auction, spent like $50 a pop! IT WAS WORTH IT!

George

Nov 14, 2001 at 5:48 AM Post #12 of 15
Neat, you frequent the stc forums too?

This thread reminds of a story that someone there recounted. Basically, he ordered the Dragon Quest 7 Symphonic Suite from some kind of importer. When it arrived, it was an SACD! Funny thing was, he certainly hadn't been expecting one and didn't have any equipment to play it on.

Nov 14, 2001 at 6:23 AM Post #13 of 15
Whoa, came on SACD?! That kicks ass, i would keep it and buy a player (perfect reason too!). I frequent the stc forum once in a while, i just posted a thread regarding skies of arcadia (eternal arcadia in japan) soundtrack...someone pointed me to an ebay auction for $100...ouch. DAMN....its a really good soundtrack and its out of print already, its a freaking dreamcast game, what gives?

George

ps. i also download soundtracks from a newsgroup (its called agent). I got my hands on the Super Mario World and Super Mario 3! As well as Super Metroid!

Nov 14, 2001 at 3:04 PM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, the Eternal Arcadia OST has had a rather interesting life: it started off expensive and near impossible to find (it was never available through the normal channels like the US-based importers, or even through cdjapan), and has since become even more expensive. It seems that VERY few were printed.

Nov 15, 2001 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 15
I heard maybe a thousand or two...sometime i wish i was japanese..game soundtracks, ultraslim cassette walkmans, best md walksmans and hot babes!

George

Users who are viewing this thread

Back