Vestax Handy Trax
Aug 5, 2004 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

zowie

Headphoneus Supremus
Has anyone tried the Vestax Handy Trax or its new competitory Numark PT-01?

For those who don't know these are portable, battery operated record players with headphone and line outs (and other niceties) that cost around $100.

I've given up trying to find a Sound Burger at a reasonable price.

I'm curious how these are sound-wise as headphone sources for bedside, office or travel listening.

Aug 6, 2004 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 9
I saw a guy using a vestax at my local flea market. He seemed to enjoy it. I personaly use a blue columbia gp3 portable. I got it form dustygroove.com. It's basicaly a retro novelty and great for low fi listening if your into indie rock. Both the numark an vestax look appealing. I believe the vestax is better for portable use because of weight and size. As far as sound quality I would think the numark beats the vestax due to it's construction. You might want to give a califone tt a listen. None of these will sound as good as a home tt but might sound pretty amazing through a headphone amp. I plan on doing the same thing.

Hope this helps you some.
Do!

Aug 6, 2004 at 2:26 AM Post #3 of 9
Helps some. I have several vintage changers as well as a high end TT. I was looking for something to fill the highly portable/battery niche.

I've seen the Columbia but suspect the newer models sound better, although since they all seem to have ceramic carts I'm sure none sounds excellent.

Aug 6, 2004 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks. KABUSA indeed says the Vestax has much better sound than the Numark, and they carry both. One one hand I'm a little surprised because they both have the same cheap cartridge mounted in a plastic stick, but on the other hand the Vestax line is generally much superior to Numark's.

I couldn't find the audiogon review (have link?) but did find a bunch of user reviews on ZZounds web site. (a very good seller by the way).

I guess the Vestax is worth a shot since it can serve double duty as the head-phone portable I'm looking for and, with variable pitch and available 78 rpm stylus, might also serve for transferring my shellac to CD now that my beloved old Dual has developed a hum problem.

Aug 9, 2004 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks! Don't know why I couldn't find it. I should get around to buying one in the next few weeks - I'm already thinking about possible mods.

Where is everybody else on this topic with all the head-fiers who have asked about getting into vinyl on the cheap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back