Very stupid question
Jan 5, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #16 of 20
I suspect everyone would draw different plots for placement of test tones. It probably has a lot to do with the spaces inside one's noggin.

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #17 of 20
I suspect everyone would draw different plots for placement of test tones. It probably has a lot to do with the spaces inside one's noggin.

See my question is that cymbals are always placed up high. So I’m saying either it’s an artifact of hearing or mental choice?

Jan 5, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #18 of 20
I don't hear any verticality by frequency myself. It may be that I am filtering out that illusion, or it may be that I'm not manufacturing that illusion for myself. Either way, it comes out the same. I hear verticality with my speaker system, but that is because it's laid out to have a vertical dimension.

Jan 6, 2021 at 12:12 AM Post #19 of 20
72989A0F-1BCA-4CAC-B22C-0AC8908A15E4.jpeg
8EBD7918-3CA8-4559-A885-A109D0ACA87E.jpeg

I don't hear any verticality by frequency myself. It may be that I am filtering out that illusion, or it may be that I'm not manufacturing that illusion for myself. Either way, it comes out the same. I hear verticality with my speaker system, but that is because it's laid out to have a vertical dimension.

Right. The real issue is how much we take our perception as flawless. When this dress illusion surfaced 1/2 the public saw blue and black and half the general public saw light brown and white. A perfect example of the world not truly being what it seems. I have been able to see the dress both ways, but it was quite controversial as folks believe what they see with their eyes.

I have no answers on this subject other than perception being flawed and a very individual experience. The best way to go with it is probably to not question things and go with what ever added elements our minds choose to add, if right or wrong, illustrating reality or not. :)

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 12:20 AM Post #20 of 20
You say potato and I say potato...

This is exactly why controlled tests try to remove extraneous variables and strive to compare apples to apples. The more we surrender to our fallible perception and allow bias to guide our choices, the more chance there is that we will end up making the wrong decisions. I see people on Head-Fi churning through equipment... they liked it before and gave it rave reviews, but now they think something else is the "perfect" piece of kit. Buy, buy, and more buying... The equipment didn't change. Their perception of the equipment did. If they conducted simple controlled listening tests, and removed variables that can lead them astray (i.e.: bias and perceptual error), they could make a decision that wouldn't change with the wind. They would have a system that presents their music accurately, they would save a boatload of money, and they wouldn't lose sleep with OCD over whether they might have made a mistake. I don't like self doubt and spending excessive money myself. I would rather invest the time and care into making an informed decision, and then moving on to the real task at hand... listening to great music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back