VCAP dock...with 4G?
Nov 30, 2007 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Pokato

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, had a crazy idea today but don't if its gonna work, maybe Ken/Vinnie can give some input.

I know for the 4G iMod, the caps are built in already, hence no need for the imod cable/dock. However, since from what I've read, the DAC inside the 4G are better than the 5/5.5G, is it possible for RWA to remove the cap inside, and make it to use the imod cable/dock instead?

This way you can have the better DAC, along with the VCAP for the best possible sound?

Can this be done, and is it worth it?

Dec 1, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #2 of 14
Not sure where you read the 4G DAC is better than the 5G. That used to be conventional wisdom (posted by Vinnie) until it was reversed (also by Vinnie, after he figured out how to imod it).

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 14
so is 4G DAC better than 5/5.5G?
cause i'm planning to iMod my 4/5G ipod

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so is 4G DAC better than 5/5.5G?
cause i'm planning to iMod my 4/5G ipod

I'm not sure, I thought I read it the 4G is better than 5G/5.5G, however matt8268 might be right.

Dec 1, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 14
@Pokato
yes all this time i've known that 4G DAC is better, but now its the other around
what does Vinnie says about this, where can i find his post?
thanks

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #6 of 14
I own both, and can hear a difference for the better in the 5.5 imod. I think it has a clearer more detailed sound. Of course this is how I hear it, and other may disagree. And of course, the 4g still has great sound.

But when you put the vcap dock on, it is really something!

Dec 3, 2007 at 2:47 PM Post #9 of 14
I've read it many times where Vinnie quoted the 5.5g iMod as having better bass. The iPod and iMod line out have a big difference to them in sound, they really aren't very close.

found it after a long time searching: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ne...ml#post2973509

Its not a question for how close is the 4th gen with vCap dock is to a 5th gen iPod. No iPod can get enhance quality with the vCap dock without being iModded and you can't use a vCap dock with the 4th gen iMod as only the headphone jack is modified.

Dec 3, 2007 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've read it many times where Vinnie quoted the 5.5g iMod as having better bass. The iPod and iMod line out have a big difference to them in sound, they really aren't very close.

found it after a long time searching: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f70/ne...ml#post2973509

Its not a question for how close is the 4th gen with vCap dock is to a 5th gen iPod. No iPod can get enhance quality with the vCap dock without being iModded and you can't use a vCap dock with the 4th gen iMod as only the headphone jack is modified.

But if we can removed the caps built in the 4G, we can use a mini-mini cable and connect to the portable vcap dock, in theroy this should work the same as the 5G right?

Dec 3, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pokato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But if we can removed the caps built in the 4G, we can use a mini-mini cable and connect to the portable vcap dock, in theroy this should work the same as the 5G right?

In theory, that should be pretty close.
smily_headphones1.gif
Its too bad you loose your headphone jack, but you can use the lineout that comes with the vCap dock to go to your amp as well if you can give up the iMod quality from the jack I suppose. I actually gave that advice in another thread, their is DIY info if you search for iMod in the DIY forum.

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundfreq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no replies from vinnie yet? i'm interested in either modding my 4g or just get the 5.5g imod

if you can afford it, get the 5.5g, esp. after Ken said he's gonna offer a deal with the Imod and the cable. A bit more than the 4g, but Ithink sonically so much better. Plus, if you want to down the road, you can get the v-cap which is NOT useable with the 4g Imod

Jan 16, 2008 at 8:37 PM Post #14 of 14
I think one possibility 'll be to remove ansd shunt Black gates inside the 4 G and use the headphone line with Pvcap.
The improve between Pvcap and Black gates is : GREAT.
Warmer, deeper, cleaner.
For me it's 1,5 X better than the Black gates.
The Ultime Sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back