Using Bithead as DAC for Micro system
Sep 15, 2008 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

moogoob

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all, I've decided my next upgrade will most likely be a Micro amp (as tempting as the WA6 is, i need something a bit more versatile) , followed later (when I scrounge up the dough!) by a Micro DAC. Till then, though, I'll need to use my Total Bithead as a DAC as the headphone jack on my iBook is not exactly that good for output. Questions:

1. What volume level from the Bithead is best for optimum sound? I keep it at High gain, as I'm currently powering Grado 325is, which are nowhere near as sensitive as most IEMs that the BH was meant to power.

2. How much better is the SQ from the Micro DAC compared to using the Bithead in this manner? All my files are 16-bit, with anything I own as a physical CD in lossless, the rest in either 320kbps MP3s or comparable AAC.

Thanks in advance of any replies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 15, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #2 of 6
I used a total bithead as a dac for my stereo system in college for a year or so. I eventually bought a microDAC. I believe the microdac sounds better than the total bithead, but the total bithead sounded very satisfactory, and I could happily switch back if something happened to my microdac. I kept the volume on a medium level, to match the other input sources I had (turntable, ps2, etc).

Sep 16, 2008 at 12:58 PM Post #3 of 6
The reason I ask is because this guy's review of an older model finds that the micro DAC has a pretty powerful line out, so I'm wondering if it would be best to emulate that.

On a side note, the order is in for my Micro amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: I ordered it yesterday morning and it's already arrived at my local Fedex place, so they'll most likely be delivering it today. Boy are they ever efficient.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 18, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 6
Well, mini review after getting it home last night, plugging it in and connecting to my Bithead via the Kimber mini-mini interconnect I ordered: absolutely fantastic. I know Grados are supposed to be easy to drive, but I had no idea just how underpowered they were coming out of the TBH. The 325is took on such a new layer of depth and clarity at any volume, and problems I'd assumed were with the recording turned out to merely be due to not enough power! Annette Olzon's vocals on Nightwish's Meadows of Heaven lost their harsh edge. The bass in NIN's The Four of us are Dying was astounding.

Great product Headroom, and I'll be ordering the Micro DAC in maybe a few months time to complete my stack.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #5 of 6
I used the Bithead at one point as a DAC. Enjoy it while you still do not have the MicroDAC. Because once you have the MicroDAC, IMHO there is no going back. The Bithead was not optimised as a stand-alone DAC - the DAC/amp combo is okay but further amplification becomes a bit muddy. The MicroDAC is a sweet unit though.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #6 of 6
I definitely like the MicroDAC compared to the dacs in the PS3, yamaha dv-c6770, or the yamaha natural sound (forgot specific model) receiver I have.
I am however using k701s so the amp falls a bit short of my needs, but when i upgrade i will definitely be using the MicroDAC in the system until i get enough money for an Ultra MicroDAC.

Cheers,
Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back