Using an iMod line out cable on a non iModded Pod!
May 13, 2008 at 11:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

MrBenvolent

Head-Fier
Hullo forum...

n00b question coming right up - I apologise in advance if this has been asked and answered before.

At the moment, I am using a g5 60Gb iPod and a pair of SE530's via a Total Bithead clear connected to the headphone out jack.

I am looking to upgrade the amp to either a Pico or Predator (ooh decisions decisions!) and at some point after that, I am likely to buy an iModded pod when they are back in stock, or indeed send my existing iPod off to be modded.

So, the question is - if in anticipation of future events, I buy one of the iMod compatible line out cables (Jumbo Cryo X Silver etc) from ALO, can I use this to connect my stock iPod to a Pico or Predator amp until such time as I get it modded, or do I need to get a non iMod cable???

Thanks in advance.

(this post previously made on the portable gear forum, but I have realised it may not have been the best place for it!)

May 14, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #2 of 8
Yes you can use a imod dock with a non Imod it will work.
My son was using my female Imod dock with his nano ,before I got him a regular dock.

May 14, 2008 at 6:55 PM Post #3 of 8
Bare in mind I may be completely wrong and coinfused about this, and I bow to bozebuttons superior knowledge, but I am sure I read it is not a good idea to run through two sets of caps, i.e. one in the ipod itself (unmodded) and then the caps in the imod lod.

Maybe I am just getting mixed upwith the DONT run an imod with a normal non cap lod?

However, if it is ok to run a player with caps through a lod with caps, would it be ok then to use a portable vcap dock with any player?

May 14, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #4 of 8
It would be alright to but, it will degrade the sound since there is more in the line.(Hence why the use of the V-Caps improve the sound of the iMod since the caps that were removed do not sound a nice as the V-Caps or blackgates that is used on iMods)

May 14, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bare in mind I may be completely wrong and coinfused about this, and I bow to bozebuttons superior knowledge, but I am sure I read it is not a good idea to run through two sets of caps, i.e. one in the ipod itself (unmodded) and then the caps in the imod lod.

Maybe I am just getting mixed upwith the DONT run an imod with a normal non cap lod?

For a temporary solution for the OP,so he doesn't have the expense of buying 2 LODs since he is planning on a Imod it will work.
It may degrade the sound a little,but he gets to break in the blackgates in his Imod cable as a side benefit.

May 15, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
excellent, thanks for clearing that up for me, I had previously for a few minutes used my clip with the vcap dock but never since as I thought it would cause some damage somewhere...

My son used the Imod lod for a couple of months with his nano feeding a minibox-d with no problems at all, I got him a regular LOD at Can
Jam & took my Imod Lod back.

May 24, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 8
it works, but it's not a good way.
They are soon caps inside a regular ipod and CAP1+CAP2= less than the value of the lower cap.
So the output signal 'll be degrade and result 'll depend of the load of the imput amp.
Generally they are no risk for the imput, but you can generate an audio signal with a narow band and sound won't be as good as it'll be without this second cap in the signal path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back