Using an amp’s existing power supply for added doodles
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

DeweyCH

Member of the Trade: Lithium Headphones
Hi all, I’ve got it in my head that it should be feasible to open up, say, an echo dot or a chromecast audio, take away the USB charging port and basically hardwire it into an existing amp using the amp’s power supply.

Is this actually doable, and how would you recommend going about it?

Thanks!

Feb 13, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi all, I’ve got it in my head that it should be feasible to open up, say, an echo dot or a chromecast audio, take away the USB charging port and basically hardwire it into an existing amp using the amp’s power supply.

Is this actually doable, and how would you recommend going about it?

Thanks!
What are you trying to achieve?

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Feb 13, 2021 at 8:15 PM Post #4 of 8
In theory an "integrated" Bluetooth or WiFi receiver within an amp.
The devices you mentioned, echo dot, and chrome cast, already contain Bluetooth and WI-fi.

An amp can't transfer power via Bluetooth or wi-fi.

Feb 13, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #5 of 8
The devices you mentioned, echo dot, and chrome cast, already contain Bluetooth and WI-fi.

An amp can't transfer power via Bluetooth or wi-fi.
I am aware of that. What I am toying with the idea of is installing an Echo Dot or Chromecast inside an amp, powered by the amp's power supply, with a simple toggle to change from the newly-integrated wireless device to the amp's existing RCA inputs.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 8
I am aware of that. What I am toying with the idea of is installing an Echo Dot or Chromecast inside an amp, powered by the amp's power supply, with a simple toggle to change from the newly-integrated wireless device to the amp's existing RCA inputs.
I guess I'll wait for your prototype. Good luck.

Feb 13, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 8
Don’t get your question, but the reason why there is an amp alone by itself is because the power supply is to supply the amp alone and nothing else. Apparently, additional things for the PSU to haul will result in a degradations of sound.

This foundation is why some people love integrated and some don’t. Some integrated Amp has dedicated PSU per each featured features

But if you don’t care about any of those things, then Voltage is voltage, just as long as you are using the correct voltage for whatever doodles noodles (Assuming that you know what you are doing), then you should be just fine

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 8

Sounds like taking a component mix of an old stereo receiver, where you might connect a number of sources through the pre-amp/amplifier section of the receiver. Except ... that you want to put it in the same box. No problem - people put DACs inside an amp box all the time and still have RCA inputs on the outside and a switch to switch from one to the other.

The problem with your suggestion is that the wireless device, by definition, is getting its signal through the air by an antenna ... and you want to enclose it all in a metal box? Not good for the wireless.

A better strategy would be to tap into the preamp output of the Echo/Chromecast and use that to connect to your headphone amp with RCA cables.

P.S. I'm not sure fiddling with the power supplies has anything to do with what you're trying to achieve.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back