Used Total Airhead Amp is making friction hash type noise when volume is turned up or down?
Jan 25, 2010 at 6:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Exact Sound

New Head-Fier
I bought it off eBay and the amp sounds fine but a fair amount of hash is audible when the volume wheel is turned. In fact...if turned quickly it will clip the amp?

In the past I have had good results using WD-40 on the fuzzy potentiometers but before I do that.... I wanted to ask what would be a better solution?

Jan 25, 2010 at 5:50 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exact Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought it off eBay and the amp sounds fine but a fair amount of hash is audible when the volume wheel is turned. In fact...if turned quickly it will clip the amp?

In the past I have had good results using WD-40 on the fuzzy potentiometers but before I do that.... I wanted to ask what would be a better solution?

It's supposed to be like that. It was a compromise for SQ - they would have to have DC blocking caps in the signal path to get rid of the scratch on those pots, and they elected to do without.

Jan 25, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's supposed to be like that. It was a compromise for SQ - they would have to have DC blocking caps in the signal path to get rid of the scratch on those pots, and they elected to do without.

I also have a current production Total BitHead amp that doesn't do this?
confused_face(1).gif

Are the specs for this potentiometer different on the BitHead vs. AirHead?

Jan 26, 2010 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Exact Sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have a current production Total BitHead amp that doesn't do this?
confused_face(1).gif

Are the specs for this potentiometer different on the BitHead vs. AirHead?

No, the current production version has DC blocking caps in the circuit to kill the noise. They felt that the SQ was sufficiently improved to allow the tiny degradation of SQ that you get with them in the circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back