Used Rolex?
Apr 2, 2013 at 1:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GloryUprising

500+ Head-Fier
So my father-in-law is turning 80 and my mother-in-law and wife have this crazy idea about getting him a Rolex.  It's only crazy because the watch will be more of a sentimental token to replace a watch long lost to family history and as such has some specific specifications.

The top one is it has to be less then $10k, preferably around $8k mark, but can be used (now you see why it's crazy?)  It also has to be all 18k gold (to include the face as much as possible).

From there, we have room to move around.  

So the question is: Any of our watch-fi'ers have any suggestions on what to look for and perhaps direct me to reputable retailers that may sell USED Rolexs?

Thanks guys (and gals)!

Apr 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 4
Well, it will require some time and effort on your part, but I'd recommend either the Sales Corner over at TimeZone (for watches below $5000) or the Showcase (watches over $5000).  I say it will take some time because you need to look very carefully for what you want, and will need to buy from someone with impeccable references.  I spent a few years as a 'watch guy' and TimeZone is the best community out there.  

Really, though, if you're trying to keep it around $8k, your choices are going to be limited, even on the secondhand market.  Yachtmasters will be out of the question, as they go for around double your budget, and an 18k Submariner will do around $12-13k on the used market.

Your best bet would be to go for something like a Rolex President (which is nice, because it has a day-date function) or a Datejust.  They're both a little smaller than what is currently trendy, but most older guys like smaller watches anyways.  Here are some links and pictures to items currently for sale on the TimeZone Showcase forum: (These might not be exactly what you're looking for, but it should provide a jumping-off point, and give you an idea of what your budget can provide)

18038 ref. Rolex Quickset President - $8299

16238 ref. Rolex Datejust - $7499

Hope this helps, and good luck finding what you're looking for!

Apr 2, 2013 at 3:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to start searching.

I'm totally clueless when it comes to rolexes, I'm more of a Seiko guy myself.

Apr 3, 2013 at 11:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Be Very careful there is a full time factory I think either Romania or Turkey where they are churned out by the 1000s.
            In the UK the car-boot[/trunk] sales are full of them $10 each.
             There are better replicas from the far east    at $20.
                 The world is full of replicas. All that glitters is not gold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back