Use of multiple (same) prescription glasses
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Naga

500+ Head-Fier
In the past I have always gotten a new pair of glasses, and completely discarded the old ones. Now that I am older and my prescription hasnt changed in the past 3 years i have 2 pairs of glasses with the Same prescription. Is it safe to alternate between these 2 as I please. I put the other pair on and notice distortion which im sure will subside after a few days of adjustment, i am just afraid of some harmful effects from changing b/w different pairs. Please share your experiences / advise in this matter.

thanks,

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:17 AM Post #2 of 7
I spent last summer switching between three different pairs of glasses with three (slightly) different prescriptions with no ill effects at all. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about, especially with two pairs with the same prescription.

Mar 17, 2008 at 3:40 AM Post #3 of 7
Perhaps lenses with differing sizes or shapes or material--although ground to the same prescription, have different characteristics. I recall hating feather-weight lenses because the lens area with the best focus was smaller--I had to physically turn my head, where before I would just move my eyes. Yuck. Another reason why I got lasik.

I assume the older pair aren't scratched-up or other-wise marred. But I recommend you check with your doctor.

Aug 1, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #4 of 7
Shouldn't matter if they are the same prescription but don't take my word on it. My Dad has around 4 different pairs of glasses and alternates occasionally. Distortion shouldn't be very noticeable for all I can say. (I have a pair of glasses and sunglasses with the same prescription) Guess its time to have a check up with an optometrist
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #5 of 7
Even with the same prescription, there will likely be some difference in vision, but in real life it does not matter. You may experience a minute or five of odd vision, but your brain will adjust pretty quickly, especially if you have used the glasses before. I have been wearing glasses for a very long time and I have never had a problem. There will be no physical damage to your eyes, so don't worry. I have some female friends that have a variety of different glasses in different colors and styles and use them as fashion accessories with no ill effect.

Mar 27, 2009 at 11:15 PM Post #6 of 7
Sure - lots of people own multiple pairs of glasses with the same prescription for purely fashion reasons. I keep my old pairs around, although I don't wear them very often. I also have regular one and sunglasses - the sunglasses are very different cut, but I don't have a problem going between them.

Apr 9, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 7
I manage my optician's computers. As a bonus I get to pick out new glasses when I see something that I like.

When it comes to different pairs with about the same specifications it's perfectly safe to alternate between them. If there's a drastic difference between them it can be dangerous, but if you can see normally with them it's usually ok.

At the moment I got 4 regular pairs, 1 cheap workout piece (1/10'th the price of some of the others, reground glasses from a previous pair I damaged.) and 2 sunglasses with strenght. Favourite pair is a red Le Tanneur designer piece.

Shapes & weight is what you'll notice most when switching between pairs. The ground glass won't matter that much most of the time. I got everything from top of the line essilor photosensitive high-index to cheaper, plain optical glass. The multicoating on the pricey essilor glass is nice, slightly better antireflective effect than the others, and easier to clean.

Things to watch out for when buying new glasses: Going for cheap plastic lenses is ok, just make sure it's hardened, otherwise it scratches way too easily. Antireflex coating is important if reflexes annoys you. If you have high strenghts, get high-index glass, makes it lighter, slimmer and actually stronger, with no negative side effects. Get big enough pads, your nose will thank you, espeicially with heavier frames.

Glass makers which are good: Zeiss, Essilor, Rodenstock, Hoya. Nonames can be just as good, but if you want neat stuff like very high index glass or photosensitity consider paying a bit extra. In the long run you will always save by getting hardened glass, as otherwise it just takes one mistake to get bad scratches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back