USB 3.0 Question
Jan 5, 2013 at 9:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

leftnose

1000+ Head-Fier
OK, sort of a weird question.  I just got a new laptop but it only has one USB 3.0 port.  I'm a pretty hardcore desktop user so I really only use the laptop when I'm travelling.  When I travel I also like to take photos.  But, with my camera, depending on how I have it set-up, one photo can be anywhere 7-30 MB of data, generally in the low 20s.  Because I'm also a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I like to back my photos up while still on the road.  So, I carry a card reader and external hard drive.  Both of these happen to be USB 3.0.  In the past, both were plugged into USB 2.0 ports and I just dealt with the slow transfer speeds.

Now, finally to the question, since the new laptop has a 3.0 port, would it be worthwhile buying a 3.0 hub and connecting both card reader and HD to that?  Will I get faster-than-2.0 transfer speeds?  Or will the bus bog down with all the I/O on the one port?  Would I just be better off connecting one device to the 3.0 port and the other to a 2.0 port?

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:43 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:
OK, sort of a weird question.  I just got a new laptop but it only has one USB 3.0 port.  I'm a pretty hardcore desktop user so I really only use the laptop when I'm travelling.  When I travel I also like to take photos.  But, with my camera, depending on how I have it set-up, one photo can be anywhere 7-30 MB of data, generally in the low 20s.  Because I'm also a belt and suspenders kind of guy, I like to back my photos up while still on the road.  So, I carry a card reader and external hard drive.  Both of these happen to be USB 3.0.  In the past, both were plugged into USB 2.0 ports and I just dealt with the slow transfer speeds.

Now, finally to the question, since the new laptop has a 3.0 port, would it be worthwhile buying a 3.0 hub and connecting both card reader and HD to that?  Will I get faster-than-2.0 transfer speeds?  Or will the bus bog down with all the I/O on the one port?  Would I just be better off connecting one device to the 3.0 port and the other to a 2.0 port?

It will be faster than 2.0 anyway, but...

If you really like backing up data, why not buy a dedicated solution? There are a few portable HDD with card reader built-in for on -the-go backup.

Does your new laptop not have a card reader? Or are you using a CF card? Then maybe the laptop has an Express Card slot and you could use that for a reader?

An easy solution might also be using your smartphone/ tablet and backup those photos using a card reader connected to one of them.

There is a multitude of options out there that I think would be faster and more efficient than the one you are trying to use. Let us know what equipment you have and maybe someone can come up with a solution using that knowledge.

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:10 AM Post #3 of 4
See below.   To be honest, I'm pretty tech savvy so I've explored most of the options but I didn't know the answer to the question about 2 devices/1 port.  Given what I have to carry for work, the only additional thing I have to carry is the card reader so I'm pretty comfortable with compromising some performance for convenience.

Thanks,
Quote:

It will be faster than 2.0 anyway, but...

If you really like backing up data, why not buy a dedicated solution? There are a few portable HDD with card reader built-in for on -the-go backup.

Bulk.  I have to carry the laptop for work and there's other stuff on my external that I like to have with me anyway.  Plus from what I've read about the all-in-one backup solutions, they're pretty Rube Goldberg.

Does your new laptop not have a card reader? Or are you using a CF card? Then maybe the laptop has an Express Card slot and you could use that for a reader?

Using a CF card, laptop has an SD reader.  No express card slot

An easy solution might also be using your smartphone/ tablet and backup those photos using a card reader connected to one of them.

If I get on a roll, I can burn 16GB of photos in one day so a tablet won't cut it.  Plus, bulk again.  I have to carry the laptop so I don't want to also carry a tablet.

There is a multitude of options out there that I think would be faster and more efficient than the one you are trying to use. Let us know what equipment you have and maybe someone can come up with a solution using that knowledge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back