Uprgrading my Source
Dec 14, 2011 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
In 2012, I plan to significantly upgrade my source.  I'm presently using an MSB Platinum DAC III purchased in 2008.

I have dwindled down my choices to two:

It's either going to be the
  1. MSB Diamond DAC + CD Transport
  2. Esoteric K01

I have never heard either one and I am wondering if there is someone here who has?

I have a small pro's and cons list already:

The Pro's of the MSB purchase is:
  1. I already really like my Platinum DAC III and I imagine this will be a significant improvement
  2. I can trade in my Platinum DAC III for some of it's original value towards this purchase
  3. MSB manufactures their own chips.

The Con's of the MSB purchase is:
  1. The resell value of the MSB Platinum DAC III dropped to less than half what I paid in 3 years time.
  2. I am intrigued to hear another brand's top of the line DAC
  3. The majority of the components within the Diamond DAC are the same as the Platinum DAC III I already own

The Pro's of Esoteric purchase is:
  1. Esoteric seems to get a lot more press than MSB, and I perceive it as the more established brand

The Con's of the Esoteric purchase is:
  1. I have never used any Esoteric gear
  2. I don't have the ability to trade in the MSB DAC I already have, but will have to resell it
  3. I am pretty sure Esoteric doesn't manufacture their own chips (which could mean something or mean nothing)

Any advice or impressions would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Dec 14, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
In 2012, I plan to significantly upgrade my source.  I'm presently using an MSB Platinum DAC III purchased in 2008.

I have dwindled down my choices to two:

It's either going to be the
  1. MSB Diamond DAC + CD Transport
  2. Esoteric K01

I have never heard either one and I am wondering if there is someone here who has?

I have a small pro's and cons list already:

The Pro's of the MSB purchase is:
  1. I already really like my Platinum DAC III and I imagine this will be a significant improvement
  2. I can trade in my Platinum DAC III for some of it's original value towards this purchase
  3. MSB manufactures their own chips.

The Con's of the MSB purchase is:
  1. The resell value of the MSB Platinum DAC III dropped to less than half what I paid in 3 years time.
  2. I am intrigued to hear another brand's top of the line DAC
  3. The majority of the components within the Diamond DAC are the same as the Platinum DAC III I already own

The Pro's of Esoteric purchase is:
  1. Esoteric seems to get a lot more press than MSB, and I perceive it as the more established brand

The Con's of the Esoteric purchase is:
  1. I have never used any Esoteric gear
  2. I don't have the ability to trade in the MSB DAC I already have, but will have to resell it
  3. I am pretty sure Esoteric doesn't manufacture their own chips (which could mean something or mean nothing)

Any advice or impressions would be really appreciated!

Thanks

Hi David,
I've never heard the MDB so I can't comment about them, in fact I've never had much experience with sources other than Esoteric. The source I have now is the K-01 but before that I had the X-03se and the K-01 is in a completely different league, I like the music I listen to, to be as analytical as possible and the K-01 is very very detailed. googleli also has a K-01 and has heard a lot more different pieces of equipment than I have so send him a PM. Other than that I think the best thing to do is audition the K-01 yourself. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 10

Quote:
Hi David,
I've never heard the MDB so I can't comment about them, in fact I've never had much experience with sources other than Esoteric. The source I have now is the K-01 but before that I had the X-03se and the K-01 is in a completely different league, I like the music I listen to, to be as analytical as possible and the K-01 is very very detailed. googleli also has a K-01 and has heard a lot more different pieces of equipment than I have so send him a PM. Other than that I think the best thing to do is audition the K-01 yourself. 

Thank you for this!

Does anyone else care to comment?  I know the Esoteric is so popular by comparison.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 10
The K01 need a good external clock to really shine. Even though, the sound is toward the analytical side, excels in piano and symphonies but not so good in vocal etc. I know several guys who own K01 and then auditioned CH D1 and sell the K01 instantly, though I admit the price difference is huge.

Another good choice is the JRDG Aeris Dac, sounds terrific even out of the usb connection.

Dec 14, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
The K01 need a good external clock to really shine. Even though, the sound is toward the analytical side, excels in piano and symphonies but not so good in vocal etc. I know several guys who own K01 and then auditioned CH D1 and sell the K01 instantly, though I admit the price difference is huge.

Another good choice is the JRDG Aeris Dac, sounds terrific even out of the usb connection.

I've never heard the K-01 with an external clock, but please take a look at googleli's post 20 on the K-01 - K-03 tread.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:
The K01 benefits from an external clock?

As I say I've never heard the K-01 with an external clock but I've read the benefits are very subtle, The audio dealer where I got the K-01 from said the same. Regarding the CH precision D1, I have come across it on the internet but at almost twice the cost of the K-01 it was and is well out of my price league.

Dec 15, 2011 at 2:21 AM Post #8 of 10
A DAC at that price needing a clock to sound good..?
blink.gif

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 10

Quote:

At almost twice the cost of the K-01, is the CH precision D1 twice as good as it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back