Upgrading catridge for Goldring 1.2
Jan 31, 2006 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

mysticaldodo

1000+ Head-Fier
Any advice for me?
smily_headphones1.gif

I want to upgrade my catridge to something better as even my cdp is bettering my turntable in some aspects. I want to keep the Goldring for at least a year before deciding whether to upgrade the table
very_evil_smiley.gif

I have an option between the Grado Platinum Statement or Goldring 1042. Any opinons on both these catridges? I would have better support with the Goldring catridge as I bought the turntable from them and I live near them so I can go back to them easily if any unforeseen problems crop up but this is just a minor bonus. Sound quality is the main priority. Basically I want something that is more detailed and better soundstaging and openess without being overly warm
biggrin.gif

My rig is.....Goldring 1.2->Clearaudio Basic->Cambridge Azur 640A V2->EPOS ELS 3/ Grado RS-1/ HD 650 Zu Mobious

Thx
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #2 of 2
I spend 5 hours auditioning Goldring 1042, Elite and Eroica. I used back my Goldring 1.2, phono, but used the dealers Primare intergrated and Audiopro speakers (USD 5K ++). The Eroica was a dud as it is a high output MC which was incompatible with my phono so that was ruled out. (just found out my phono is actually low output for the MC, you learn something new everyday
wink.gif
).

The Goldring 1042 seemed to be more compressed sounding and more forward. It was also harsh sounding but very detailed. Overall, way superior over the Elektra.

We both agreed the Elite sounded perfect with the Clearaudio phonostage, even better then his Primare phonostage. The sound was spacious, very airy and even more detailed but seems to be slightly lacking in the low end compared to the 1042 but by no means lightwewight at least by my standards. What I was impress was how much smoother the midrange and treble was, it just sounds so natural. The overal tone was quite neutral sounding. Through the dealers setup is veered on the slightly bright side, but through my amp and speakers it sounded right and as good as a bookshelf can sound. It also lack the harshness of the 1042, both of these catridges have not been burned in yet. Anyway the Elite came in a cooler looking jewel box
wink.gif

The following LPs were used:

Faye Wong - Sky
Jackson Browne -Running on Empty

My dealer also used Dire Straits Running On Empty but i'm not familiar with that so couldn't comment. In addition he thought the Goldring 1.2 with Elite sounded better then the Goldring 2 with the same catridge, but those were his words and I haven't heard the Goldring 2 yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back