Upgrade to Westone 3 or not...
Dec 17, 2008 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

lycos12

New Head-Fier
I've been using SE530 for a year now and really enjoy listening to it.
W3 has finally came out and it seems that most of head-fiers agreed that it's better than SE530 in all aspect (except milder bass and more bright).

I'm wondering if W3 is considered as a definite upgrade to SE530 or are they still in the same league?

If it's only a mild improvement, I'll just use my budget to buy full-size headphone + decent amp.

Dec 17, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #2 of 15
If you are so satisfied with the SE530, why to risk with another manufacturer? Adding that kind of money to your full size can budget would probably make more sense.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 15
I don't think it would be a major upgrade. They are more or less the same league in terms of price, SQ. I would save the money and upgrading to full size cans like HD600/650.

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 15
i went to have sound testing for both shure 530 and W3, although both have fantastic sound, i still can hear alot differences with my Sony S739..

while i turn volumn sound to very loud with EQ set heavy bass, shure530 sound warmer, W3 bass abit out of control...

but if in flat eq, W3 more nicer in general coz alot quality details(high-mid-low) and tight bass that i hardly heard in shure 530.

it hard to describe it unless u go to audiotest yrself, and i belived that different source of player produce different sound impact, with Sony S739 the sound never better!

for me, W3 will give me new experience of music..

Dec 17, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #7 of 15
SE530 was my favorite IEM but after owning them for 2 weeks I am full-heartily convinced that W3 is an definite upgrade.

Totally agree with post above about under a flatter EQ, W3 really excels.

I have no desire to put anything else in my ears.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lycos12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been using SE530 for a year now and really enjoy listening to it.
W3 has finally came out and it seems that most of head-fiers agreed that it's better than SE530 in all aspect (except milder bass and more bright).

I'm wondering if W3 is considered as a definite upgrade to SE530 or are they still in the same league?

If it's only a mild improvement, I'll just use my budget to buy full-size headphone + decent amp.

Are you amping your SE530's now?
(if yes, which amp?)

The reason I ask is that, to my ears, the W3's improvement over the SE530's is less when unamped, but becomes profound, when running both IEMs through an RSA Mustang.

If your SE530s are unamped now, I would recommend considering an amp first (and portable amps in 2008 don't get any better than Ray Samuels' Mustang).

If you've already got a good portable amp, then I think you will notice a big step up with the W3's. (they really are special)

Hands down, the best portable sound (acoustic image) I've ever heard is:
3G Nano-->Mustang-->ALO SXC 18G LOD-->W3 (with Apple Lossless files)

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If your SE530s are unamped now, I would recommend considering an amp first (and portable amps in 2008 don't get any better than Ray Samuels' Mustang).

This. I am going this route since I love the SE530 so much.

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #10 of 15
so did I
wink.gif

Dec 17, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so did I
wink.gif

Get back to work you slacker.

LOL

I thought you were getting Westones??

EDIT: you have the W3. Back to work anyway.

Dec 17, 2008 at 6:58 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkninja67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This. I am going this route since I love the SE530 so much.

You're gonna LOVE the Mustang with the 530's!
I flat-out guarantee it.

Please, share your impressions with us, if you end up getting one.

P.S.: all sorts of cool colors to choose from, but (imho) black with a brass knob is super cool looking, in an understated way.

Dec 18, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by antonyfirst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are so satisfied with the SE530, why to risk with another manufacturer? Adding that kind of money to your full size can budget would probably make more sense.

It's called curiousity...
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraHotel01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are you amping your SE530's now?
(if yes, which amp?)

Nope, I don't have headphone amp and I'm not planning to buy it only for IEM. The reason I use IEM is for portability. It wont' be easy to do cardio while carrying amp in my pocket or in my arm band
rolleyes.gif
:

But i'm going to buy a better amp than mustang to drive my full size headphone (Yep, thanks all for the suggestions, I decided to get full size headphone + amp now), probably Corda Cantate before choosing any of the amazing three (HD650, AKG701 and DT880)

I'm going to be a good citizen and follow what Kevin Rudd suggestion to help Australian economy: "use your christmas bonus: shop, shop and shop!!"
tongue.gif

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordnikon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think it would be a major upgrade. They are more or less the same league in terms of price, SQ. I would save the money and upgrading to full size cans like HD600/650.

Similar price does not mean similar SQ ^ ^ Westone 3 is definately an improvement overall, but you are the one who decides it is a small or a big improvement~e.g. many people don't think my Image x10 is a big improvement over Apple earbuds~lol~personal preference~
as for saving money and upgrading full size cans~it comes down to your usage again, as for me, I move around all the time, so I consider IEM more than Full size, esp. open back head~I would rather same money for a home stereo system~ ^ ^

Dec 25, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by lycos12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's called curiousity...
tongue_smile.gif

Nope, I don't have headphone amp and I'm not planning to buy it only for IEM. The reason I use IEM is for portability. It wont' be easy to do cardio while carrying amp in my pocket or in my arm band
rolleyes.gif
:

But i'm going to buy a better amp than mustang to drive my full size headphone (Yep, thanks all for the suggestions, I decided to get full size headphone + amp now), probably Corda Cantate before choosing any of the amazing three (HD650, AKG701 and DT880)

I'm going to be a good citizen and follow what Kevin Rudd suggestion to help Australian economy: "use your christmas bonus: shop, shop and shop!!"
tongue.gif

true~why amp an IEM when your objective is been portable ^ ^

Users who are viewing this thread

Back