Upgrade my HD650 setup
Jul 17, 2014 at 8:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

WillMase

New Head-Fier
Hi guys this is my first post go easy on me :)

Currently my setup is as follows:

PC playing Spotify Premium and Lossless CD Rips from my collection >
USB >
Musical Fidelity V-DAC >
NAD C316 BEE >
HP Out: HD650 Speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 122.

So I'm after an amp or a dac, or both. Budget, well anything less than £500 (~$850).

I'm not sure what the bottle neck is in this system tbh, I got the V-DAC second hand and can't seem to find many reviews on it. I used to have a FiiO E7 which broke and I preferred the sound of that.

My NAD C316BEE has a lot of power and can certainly drive my HD650s to deafening volumes, whether it lacks clarity etc, I don't know as I have not tried anything as a comparison. Someone else uses this amp with headphones as shown here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/535458/why-not-use-a-home-stereo-integrated-amp-in-lieu-of-a-headphone-amp-pic-added

I've looked at the Schiit range, I was tempted to get the Bifrost Uber but then I read that the amp is more important than the DAC etc. Any recommendations on what I should upgrade first would be most welcome. 

EDIT:

Just thought I'd add what music I like. Well I like a lot of stuff, some of my favourites however are: The Cranberries, Kacey Musgraves, Rush, Metallica, Megadeth and then I also like some modern stuff like Hip Hop. However the strings for me are more important than the bass section. 

One song I love to listen to when I try other peoples equipment is The Cranberries - Sunday the guitars in that are amazing as are the fast paced hi-hats and the bass guitar and not to forget Dolores O'Riordan's amazing voice.

Jul 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 7
Audio-GD NFB-11, external DAC/Amp, $355+shipping ($50?).
http://audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 7
  Thanks for the reply, that looks good, the Custom Options however, would you recommend any of them? 

NFB-11 normal price is $315, then adding the two TXCOs ($20 each), make it $355
It a long term purchase, so might as well get the TCXOs installed at the factory.
Not sure about the power supply upgrade, never noticed it before, but it's only $15.

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:26 AM Post #5 of 7
  NFB-11 normal price is $315, then adding the two TXCOs ($20 each), make it $355
It a long term purchase, so might as well get the TCXOs installed at the factory.
Not sure about the power supply upgrade, never noticed it before, but it's only $15.

Thanks again. 

Having looking around I have emailed kingwa about the differences between the NFB-11 and the Compass 2 and I think I am going with the Compass 2. I'm just asking him about which configuration would sound best with the HD650 although I think the default is perhaps the best.

Jul 24, 2014 at 6:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Arrived today. Posted on Tuesday evening and arrived in the UK on Thursday morning, quick turnaround!

I gave it a quick go before going into university and it sounds more detailed than my V-DAC. The highs are definitely more detailed like the wash of cymbals is really sparkly and there is much more detail in the bass.
The unit itself is of a decent quality I like the black metal.

I will give it a few hours after university this evening and post more impressions. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back