Upgrade my Channel Islands amp (VHP-2) for Audeze LDC-3s?
Aug 26, 2014 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

deanchat

New Head-Fier

My headphone rig is Mac Pro -> Vandenhul OptoCoupler (TOSLink) -> Channel Islands VDA-2 (DAC) -> Channel Islands VHP-2 -> pre-Fazor Audeze LCD-3 (occasionally Alessandro MS2i).  The VHP-2 drives my LCD-3s without a problem and sounds pretty good, but I feel like the soundstage could be bigger/wider and perhaps there could be more impact.  So, I am looking at upgrade options.

Will there be a truly noticeable difference If I spend about $1500 on an Oppo HA-1, Grace 903, Burson, Benchmark, Schiit, or something along those lines (feel free to recommend) ?   My focus is on the amp, I don't want/need to upgrade the DAC side of things, I like the CIA DAC and I have a Wyred4Sound DAC2 that I could pilfer from my downstairs system if I really feel the need to upgrade the DAC.    Any ideas/input/comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dean

Aug 26, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #2 of 6
I think the issue is more with the headphones and your tastes. Your current rig is quite good and what you describe regarding your distaste is something I feel is inherent to the LCD-C and most planars. They can sound anemic and lack slam at times. This is because of their extremely flat frequency curve.

Suggesting a different amp or DAC, I feel, will not be placing your money in the best place.

I do own an m903 and it drives the LCD-3 really well.

A suggestion is to try running the DAC with USB just to see if that improves your listening experience.

Just out of curiocity what pads do you have and how old are the headphones?

If I had to pick a weakness it would have to be the headphone amp. The DAC receives great reviews, but at least one user reports the VPA-2 is lackluster with power hungry cans.

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=9710

Anyone know if the LCD-3 had the same issues that the 2 had with the driver until Audeze fixed it?

http://www.audeze.com/driver-update-and-leather-headband

Aug 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Many thanks for the input!  Don't get me wrong, the LCD-3s sound very good, I particularly like the overall warmth and deep bass performance.  I guess I am also  looking for more of an  "outside your head" experience as well.  Perhaps a bit more impact too, but I don't expect them to slam like the Alessandros.  I listen mainly to rock and jazz, with some occasional classical and very occasional electronic thrown in.

Unfortunately I can't try the USB suggestion, the Channel Islands VDA-2 only has one each of Coax (RCA) and TosLink, no USB input.  I stayed away from USB DACs because my Mac Pro has a TosLink out and because when I bought the VDA-2 USB DACs were quite new and uncommon and not very good (that has obviously changed in recent years!) Is USB considered better than TosLink these days?

Do you use the DAC built into the m903 or do you use a separate DAC?

My LCD-3s are about 1 year old and I have the standard leather earpads.  I am pretty sure mine were produced after the LCD-2 update.

The comments you link to about the VHP-2 amp are quite interesting.  The amp does not appear to struggle to drive the LCD-3s, I never need to go past 12:00 volume in the high-gain setting, but maybe some more power is needed to make the cans sing.

Thanks,
Dean

Aug 26, 2014 at 8:45 PM Post #4 of 6
I have driven the LCD-3 straight using the m903 as both amp and DAC, but my current and preferred rig used the m903 as a DAC and BUDA from HeadRoom as the amp.

Aug 27, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #5 of 6
The VHP-2 with outboard power supply (VAC-1) is a good sounding amp.

If you are using the wall-wart to power the unit, then I would consider upgrading to the VAC power supply.

I use the LCD-X and music does not lack impact. Soundstage is another matter, where my HD650 and AKG 501 project a better soundstage.

Nevertheless, I am in the same situation: wanting to upgrade to a better amp. In my case, I am building a balanced M3 amp. Although, I am very much interested in the new amp by Schiit which will be going beta soon.

I think $1,400-1,700 is the sweet spot for decent improvement over the VHP-2.

Aug 27, 2014 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for reminding me about the power supply (VAC-1).  I have one of those and one wall-wart for the two CIA components.  I don't remember if the VAC-1 is attached to the amp or the DAC, I will check that and perhaps swap them to see if I hear a difference.  Probably should buy another VAC-1.  That new Schiit is on my radar as well.  What else is amp-only in the $1500 +/- range that is worth a look (I mainly run across amp/DACs)?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back