Upgrade from HP50’s?
Oct 2, 2023 at 2:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

trivium911

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, im looking to upgrade from my HP50’s. I really love the sound but the fit and comfort are something to be desired. I had to modify the headband by building it up since i have a small head. In addition, i had to swap the Pads to something slightly more cushy as my ears were touching the drivers, though not so plush like the HM5 pads. I found the HM5 pads made them sound too V shaped and lost the midrange. Finally, i had to physically break the internal plastic keeping the drivers from spinning more as they were not sealing properly. They are more comfortable now but still not great.

I have the 400i’s already and love those, though im looking for closed back. I’ve heard the MSR7’s are bright Compared to the NAD’s, So I likely wont like those. I think what i like most about theHP50’s is the respectable soundstage and excellent imaging. Any thoughts?

I find the tackstar pro 80’s really comfortable, though the NAD’s are a step above in sound quality. Ive looked at the meez 99 classic/neo buti’ve heard they sound bloated and bass heavy, i hate that.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I'd say your impressions are spot on--I agree with the comfort issue on the HP50, brighter sound of the MSR7b, and bloated bass of the 99.

Ive looked at the meez 99 classic/neo buti’ve heard they sound bloated and bass heavy, i hate that.

Is it bloated bass you don't like, or bassy headphones in general? And what is your budget, exactly in USD/CAD?

Oct 2, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 7
The Rode NTH-100 might be a good bet for under $200, though I have seen reports of build quality issues. I think the Shure SRH1540s are a nice upgrade if you're open to spending more.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2023 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 7
what about AKG 371? They look really comfortable for someone with a small head. How do they compare to the HP50's?

Those would be a good alternative. If memory serves, the treble isn't quite as smooth as the HP50s, but not particularly harsh or bright like MSR7s can be

Oct 3, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #6 of 7
Those would be a good alternative. If memory serves, the treble isn't quite as smooth as the HP50s, but not particularly harsh or bright like MSR7s can be
What is the imaging and soundstage like? I think the HP50's are pretty good, though the marketing over room fill technology is a bunch of crap. They image well but not anything more than a good set of closed back headphones.

Oct 3, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #7 of 7
What is the imaging and soundstage like? I think the HP50's are pretty good, though the marketing over room fill technology is a bunch of crap. They image well but not anything more than a good set of closed back headphones.

Honestly been too long since I heard the K371s to say. Also been a while since I owned HP50s but I have PSB M4U 2s which share a lineage and also have "room feel" tech and I would agree that soundstage is really not any more than you'd expect with closed back headphones

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back