upgrade from Fiio FH3...recommendations please
Mar 28, 2024 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mcmojo

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I am looking to upgrade my IEM's from fiio FH3. Looking at £500 limit, although I am tempted by the Fiio FX15. Looking for an everyday IEM. I listen to bands like Green Day, Marillion, Ben Howard, Paul Weller as well classical and Jazz.
Using an Ibasso DX260. All recommendations appreciated..

thank you
Mojo

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for response. What has put me off fh9 is the open back and sound leakage. What didn't you like about the FX15?
As you've sold them....what have you settled on?
Thanks
Mojo

Mar 29, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for response. What has put me off fh9 is the open back and sound leakage. What didn't you like about the FX15?
As you've sold them....what have you settled on?
Thanks
Mojo
For me FH9 is quite balaced in bands, won't be too bad on any kinda music. I bought FX15 merely because the used ones are really really cheap, and I was curious. FX15 feels more like an experimental piece from FIIO, shy on mids, sound stage is fair, too much detailed, also because of the electrostatic drivers, you may need some 'amp' on this one.

Finally I settled on um mest mk2, made of carbon fiber, almost cannot feel it existance lol, also an quite balanced IEM.

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:23 PM Post #6 of 7
How about looking at the Fearless Audio S8Z. I have tried it, but unfortunately don't own it as it's a bit out of my budget. Given you like everything from green day to classical (exactly my preferences)you will need an iem that avoids excessive sub base and avoids excessive mid range and treble glare. So basically nothing excessive at the bottom and top end, but a full and transparent mid range. The S8Z would IMHO be great. It's also a very beautiful iem as all Fearless Audios are. I own the Fearless Audio Provence and it's one of the few IEM's I own that spans rock to classical well. Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back