Upgrade from broken Oriveti O400 or accept replacement for half price
Mar 22, 2024 at 12:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Krzych

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been using Oriveti O400 for last 3 years, but they are starting to break now with left earbud sounding much different than right one. It already happened once and I got it replaced through warranty, but now the warranty is over.

However I did contact Oriveti and they offered either repair (not the best option since it requires shipping to China and will take ages) or ability to buy earbuds only at 50% of full kit price, so it would cost $200.

I am wondering whether I should accept that or upgrade to something better. I really like my O400s and they are huge step up from what I've used before, but they are still not exactly how I would want them. I don't really understand all the audio terminology to well, but how I would describe it is that when songs are calmer and more defined they sound really good, but the more is going on in the song the more "muddy" the sounds becomes. However I am not sure if this is the issue with IEMs not being good enough or simply the characteristic of the songs themselves, especially that I've seen that behavior to varying degrees with basically any audio equipment I've listened to from IEMs to normal speakers, and if upgrading to something better would even bring a significant improvement in that regard.

The budget would be around $700-800, could even be more than that for something really worth it, source is LG V30 with like 95% of the songs being lossless files, the type of music is primarily metal/rock and derivatives, symphonic/gothic metal especially. I'd rather keep IEM form factor since I use them in commute a lot and I am very uncomfortable with clamping forces of any kind. Regular availability within the EU without having to order from the opposite side of the planet would a plus too, but not necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 2
Hi,

I have been using Oriveti O400 for last 3 years, but they are starting to break now with left earbud sounding much different than right one. It already happened once and I got it replaced through warranty, but now the warranty is over.

However I did contact Oriveti and they offered either repair (not the best option since it requires shipping to China and will take ages) or ability to buy earbuds only at 50% of full kit price, so it would cost $200.

I am wondering whether I should accept that or upgrade to something better. I really like my O400s and they are huge step up from what I've used before, but they are still not exactly how I would want them. I don't really understand all the audio terminology to well, but how I would describe it is that when songs are calmer and more defined they sound really good, but the more is going on in the song the more "muddy" the sounds becomes. However I am not sure if this is the issue with IEMs not being good enough or simply the characteristic of the songs themselves, especially that I've seen that behavior to varying degrees with basically any audio equipment I've listened to from IEMs to normal speakers, and if upgrading to something better would even bring a significant improvement in that regard.

The budget would be around $700-800, could even be more than that for something really worth it, source is LG V30 with like 95% of the songs being lossless files, the type of music is primarily metal/rock and derivatives, symphonic/gothic metal especially. I'd rather keep IEM form factor since I use them in commute a lot and I am very uncomfortable with clamping forces of any kind. Regular availability within the EU without having to order from the opposite side of the planet would a plus too, but not necessary.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Oh man, you can do a lot better in that budget. If you wanna go cheap, the Truthear HEXA or the Sennheiser ie200 are good budget options. Above that are the Final A5000 and Awful Performer 8. The next step above that would probably be a nice Soundrhyme SR8 (there's one for sale in the classifieds right now.) above that, a used CFA Supermoon or Black Star. Maybe a used Custom Art Fibae 5. A monarch Mk2 or older Campfire Andromeda might be good options as well. Best of luck - in the end, you'll do what you want to do, but I hope that helps a bit. My ranking list in my sig will tell you where I rank a ton of IEMs, it might help guide your choice

Users who are viewing this thread

Back