Upgrade for some SRH-840
Jul 5, 2014 at 4:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

dashelj

New Head-Fier
Hello!

I am currently deciding on whether to upgrade (or change for the sake of change) my SRH-840 headphones.  I will be getting a decently powerful amp so no worries about powering something.  A couple options I was looking at were the AKG Q701, or the HE-400 (which I can find for a similar price to the AKQ).  Surprisingly, it is difficult to find places to audition headphones even though my city is fairly big.  My price range is about 300 but I am also thinking of waiting and getting something in a higher price range.  However, I feel like I am starting to stray too far into the diminishing returns realm at that point.

I generally use them for games and music, I have a little desktop system.  The music I listen to is mostly indie of the dance, pop and electronic variety.  I like tight controlled bass and prefer that even to the extent that it means it is a bit lacking in bass.  I like to hear the details in my music and feel like I am in the music.  Right now I like the 840's I have but I am kind of looking at an upgrade.  How significant an upgrade would the Q701 or HE-400 be?  I know both are very good and at that point you are very much in the personal sound preference realm as much as quality realm.  Is the 840 also of equivalent quality?

Thanks

Adam

Jul 5, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 12
I own both headphones. Which amp will you be powering them with? I don't think either of these cans need tons of power to sound good, but need a good amount of power to sound their best. They will also scale better with better equipment.

That aside, if you'll be doing a decent amount of gaming, I would recommend the Q701. I think the Q701 is an incredible gaming can. Also, looking at your sound preferences I think the Q701 might be a better fit. It's closer to neutral than the HE400, has more of an emphasis on the mids/highs, and sounds more real/natural. Both cans are great though and are both very detailed. As for how much of an upgrade they will be with your current setup I can't comment as I've never heard the Shure.

- Roy

Jul 5, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 12
Yes--both will be an upgrade from the very good 840.

The 840 has a mid-bass hump.  So you will find the 701 to deliver less bass quantity compared to what you have.  On the other hand it has an excellent sound stage for gaming and music.  The can gives you access to every music (and other voice), but because it separates these musical voices within its sound stage, it will not give you slam.

The planar HE-400 delivers excellent bass--quality, extension and quaint--especially in the price class you are considering.  It's sound stage is middle-ish for an open can.  It is also an excellent can, but its weakness are in its mids, which are just a bit funky sounding and not quite natural.

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the responses.  I was looking at a few amps.  Right now I have a Musicstreamer II+ DAC and I was looking at a few different amps like the Asgard or O2.  Hadn't really settled on anything yet.

I am going to try to find a few places to test out the AKG vs my 840's.  I have a feeling I will love the neutrality or find out I actually like a bit of extra bass.

Any comment on the "planar magnetic sound" I hear people talk about. It is one reason I keep considering the HE-400 or even spending more on the 500 or newly released 400i.  Though at that kind of price point I really hesitate to buy something without being able hear it out.

Adam

Jul 5, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 12
The "planar sound" usually means clean, accurate bass.  However while their sound is more similar to one another, than say dynamic cans, not all planar cans sound alike, even adjusting for price differences.

The HE-500 is a steal.  It is the lowest price can that I have heard without any significant weaknesses in its sound signature.  It fixes the mids problem in the 400 and improves most everything else as well.  If you have an amp that will drive it properly and don't mind a heavy can, the HE 500 is next to impossible to beat at or near its price--especially at recent closeout pricing.

The HE-400i (and 560) are just being released.  So thus far few have heard them, especially the production versions.

Jul 5, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 12
  I am currently deciding on whether to upgrade (or change for the sake of change) my SRH-840 headphones.  I will be getting a decently powerful amp so no worries about powering something.  A couple options I was looking at were the AKG Q701, or the HE-400 (which I can find for a similar price to the AKQ).  Surprisingly, it is difficult to find places to audition headphones even though my city is fairly big.  My price range is about 300 but I am also thinking of waiting and getting something in a higher price range.  However, I feel like I am starting to stray too far into the diminishing returns realm at that point.
I generally use them for games and music, I have a little desktop system.  The music I listen to is mostly indie of the dance, pop and electronic variety.  I like tight controlled bass and prefer that even to the extent that it means it is a bit lacking in bass.  I like to hear the details in my music and feel like I am in the music.  Right now I like the 840's I have but I am kind of looking at an upgrade.  How significant an upgrade would the Q701 or HE-400 be?  I know both are very good and at that point you are very much in the personal sound preference realm as much as quality realm.  Is the 840 also of equivalent quality?

I've heard that the Shure SRH-940's ear pads improve the audio on the SRH-840 headphones.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 12
I also might have the opportunity to grab a used LCD-2 for a bit less than 500 bucks.  From what I have read it is somewhat equivalent to the HE-500 albeit usually quite a bit more expensive and a little tougher to drive.  Well, depending where you read it is both better and worse in all aspects.

I have a problem with avoiding good deals!  Even it if they cost me more.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #8 of 12
  I also might have the opportunity to grab a used LCD-2 for a bit less than 500 bucks.  From what I have read it is somewhat equivalent to the HE-500 albeit usually quite a bit more expensive and a little tougher to drive.  Well, depending where you read it is both better and worse in all aspects.

I have a problem with avoiding good deals!  Even it if they cost me more.

The LCD-2 has a dark sound signature.  It is much different from the neutral HE-500.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #9 of 12
Long time user of the SRH840 (I owned it twice).  Fantastic headphone.

If you're looking for a similar signature in  a fantastic value open headphone - definitely consider the Sennheiser HD600.  It's in a similar price range to the HE400 and Q701, requires less amplification than the AKGs, and is widely considered as being one of the best headphones Sennheiser ever produced.  It's still in high demand more than 10 years after it was introduced.

Best thing is that it can be used across all genres, and does a decent job of gaming as well.

Jul 13, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 12
I had a chance to listen to the AKG702 and 712 and the SRH940. I had never actually heard open ear headphones before!  You definitely get that sense of space.  The closed back (in this case the 940's) felt way more immediate and focused.

The 702 and 712 sounded quite similar to me.  Or rather they both sounded good.  I could definitely tell the difference between the two although it was a bit noisy in the store and I didnt really have the time to analyze which was better.  I would suspect I would be happy with both unless I had both to compare to each other all the time.  

I definitely liked the tightness of the bass in either AKG.  I have heard the LCD-2's before and the bass there was in greater quantity but it still felt controlled.  Also the detail in the AKG's were superb.  Much more than the SRH840, not that they are lacking in that department.  I see now why people have multiple pairs of headphones - sometimes you just want different sounds for different uses.  Nothing is necessarily that much better or worse overall, just better or worse for that person for that application.  Also I feel like for me, I wont be able to make a bad choice.  Any of the cans I buy I will probably like.  It also makes me want to try out every headphone I can get my hands on.  I wish I could find a place to try out the Sennheiser's

Can anyone comment on the level of detail provided by the HE-500/400 or LCD-2 vs the AKG-701/712 or even SRH840.  I kind of liked the fullness of the bass when I heard the LCD-2 but I really enjoy headphones that let me hear new details in my music and I wouldn't give up too much of the detail in the AKG for extra bass.  I am especially interested in the detail level in an HE-400 since it is probably more in the price range I would like to spend at this time.

Thanks

Adam

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 12
I recommend that you go directly to the HE-500, while it is still available and can be found at closeout prices (as can the HE-400).  Take a look at these excellent reviews of the cans you are considering--and have heard:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE500

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HE400

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_LCD2b

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_K702

Jul 13, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #12 of 12
It is something I am seriously considering. Beyond what I wanted to spend but I feel like the 500 would serve me better for longer.  I am also interested to hear about how the 400i sounds when it is released. From the few people who have heard the 400i and 500 it seems like they might be similar but the 400i is quite a bit lighter.  In the meantime I can keep my eye out for a deal on a HE-500!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back