Upgrade confusion - amp? CDP? SACD? DVD-A?
May 15, 2002 at 6:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Oliver :)

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello Forum,

please help me, I don't know how to spend the money I don't have yet
wink.gif

I have a very old not so very good Denon CDP serving as transport, the DAC (24b) is in my MD-deck. In short, my source sucks.
rolleyes.gif
It sounds nice through my Tukans, Etys ER-4S & new TAH (4,5V / stationary: currently experimenting with 12/15V), but with those great plugs showing so much I feel as if I am missing a lot.

But what to save up for? A great CDP? With or without HDCD? Or SACD? DVD-A?
Looking at CDPs I found that the Arcam CD72 looks very nice. Good V/M, 24b DAC, upgradable, sadly it lacks HDCD. Any alternatives?
I am just afraid that I will carry it out of the store the week before a great CD/SACD player comes out at the same price. I have no need for multichannel, and somewhen there has to be a decent selection of software for it...

So would it be smart to invest into a CDP within the next few weeks?
confused.gif

Next problem: Once I have a better source, and from what I read around here the source should be the first thing to upgrade, I will feel that its performance is limited by the TAH, and I will either want a Headroom Supreme or Cosmic, or some other nice amp... once I have better portable amp I will need a bigger iPod to put WAVs on instead of MP3s... well, you are here, you know what I mean
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back