Upgrade cable for KZ ZS 10 Pro ?
Nov 25, 2020 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cslogg

New Head-Fier
I am new to dedicated portable music players and have a Sony NWA 55L and the above IEMs.
Is it worth getting an upgrade cable for the KZs ?Will it make a noticeable difference.?Bearing in mind the KZs were only £29 I do not want to pay silly money if its not worth it.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 6
I am new to dedicated portable music players and have a Sony NWA 55L and the above IEMs.
Is it worth getting an upgrade cable for the KZs ?Will it make a noticeable difference.?Bearing in mind the KZs were only £29 I do not want to pay silly money if its not worth it.

There are 2 camps of folks here, one camp believes cables changes the sound, one camp doesn't based on objective measurements.
Very controversial subject here, I respect both camps. It's good if you believe cables change the sound for you, you have another area in the audio chain to play around to get audio nirvana. It's also good if you believe cables don't change the sound for you, you will save a lot of money in this hobby.

Best that you maybe get an aftermarket cable and listen for yourself and see which camp you fall in.

FWIW, my own take is that perhaps cables may make a difference if the stock cable provided is lousy and has a lot of resistance. This may skew the frequency response of the IEM, especially multi driver sensitive type IEMs, where small additions in resistances to the audio chain may affect sound quality. So adding a cable that has very low resistance may help the sound, but it isn't light and day difference. You get more difference in sound via changing eartips or source IMHO. YMMV as always, but please don't buy a cable that is more expensive than the IEM for sure!

Anyways even if you don't believe in cables changing the sound, at least a new cable gives nicer haptic feel or ergonomics, or even better asthetics? I usually buy 8 or 16 core pure copper NiceHCK cables. They go around $7 - 8 USD during sales on aliexpress, and they measure very low in resistances and are well braided. I have about 10 of em, some of them are almost 1.5 - 2 years old and going strong.

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:33 AM Post #3 of 6

You're better off saving your money to upgrade your IEMs, unless you've got money to splash around and in that case it's really about what makes you happy :)

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 9:42 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks baskingshark.As a newbie can you suggest a cable I can buy which is a step up on the stock cable.

See my last paragraph in the post above: " I usually buy 8 or 16 core pure copper NiceHCK cables. They go around $7 - 8 USD during sales on aliexpress, and they measure very low in resistances and are well braided. I have about 10 of em, some of them are almost 1.5 - 2 years old and going strong. "

The KZ ZS10 Pro uses a 2 pin 0.75mm detachable cable, so make sure u get this configuration for aftermarket cables rather than MMCX type cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back