Upgrade budget allocation: DAP vs amp vs headphones???
Nov 30, 2014 at 7:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

simonpj

New Head-Fier
Without the option of being able to try out all of the alternative combinations, I'm quite unsure about where to allocate my upgrade budget. 

I've been using an iPone 5s with Etymotic ER4-P - until the Etymotics went missing on a recent long-haul flight. I'm now using my backup Sure SE310's which have taken my sound quality from just about ok to definitely not good enough. 

So I'm looking for a big mobile audio upgrade - but really quite unsure whether money spent on DAP or amp or headphones is going to make the biggest difference. AK240 plus some replacement ER4-P's, or iBasso DX90 plus some high-end CIEM's? 

This is mainly for use on a quiet commuter train, with the odd long-haul flight (for which I could use my Sure SE310's, given that plane noise limits the SQ whatever you do). 

I'm interested in trying hi res files including DSD - and would like to have a player that will be good enough to play through my high quality home system (speakers not headphones). My CD set up is very good - but I'm very curious about whether it can be bettered by current hi res files and dacs. 

Given that most of my mobile audio use is during two hours of quiet train travel each day, I'm wondering whether a quality closed back full-size headphone might be the thing to deliver the most enjoyable audio experience. 

So maybe even Audeze LCD-XC plus iBasso DX90?? Or, the opposite, AK240 plus ER4-P?? 

Any wisdom about where to spend the money to get the biggest audio hit gratefully received!

Simon

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:05 PM Post #2 of 3
I can't imagine taking the LCD-XC out in public. In addition to the geek factor, I would be scared to death to beat-up that beautiful wood.

I think upgrading the headphones is nearly always the biggest bang for your buck. Once you have headphones that produce the sound signature you love, then you have the luxury of fine-tuning with electronics.

On the other hand, you do need to provide the headphones a clean signal and enough power. So, there is at least a minimum level of amp needed for your dream headphones. For a portable amp, the question of solid state vs tubes doesn't really exist (unless you are a glutton for punishment), so differences between different high-quality amps is actually fairly subtle.

Finally, there is the DAP. I think a DAP is primarily selected for the UI and media support, plus having a good DAC. Much like the amp, there is a minimum level of DAC needed to make your headphones shine - but above that typically provides more subtle change to the sound.

Dec 1, 2014 at 2:16 AM Post #3 of 3
I think upgrading the headphones is nearly always the biggest bang for your buck. Once you have headphones that produce the sound signature you love, then you have the luxury of fine-tuning with electronics.

Thanks. That's helpful, and makes sense. Reflects my experience with my home system - where however important the other components are, the really big differences come from the speakers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back