Gripes with Reviews
Nov 30, 2020 at 10:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 59

jenkinsontherun

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

What are some gripes you have with reviewers? Obviously, we want this to be a safe but fun space, and all of this will be jokes at the end of the day. So, don't name any reviewers, but have fun!

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #5 of 59
Reviewers luv to say, neutral with a hint of warmth. Basically they say crap that has no meaning. To them, everything is slight north of neutral.

Or if there's crap ton of treble emphasis they say unforgiving or worse, it sounds bad with bad recordings and blame on the recordings.

When you read reviews you can tell they are putting out words, but the words really don't tells us anything. They borrow similar words from each other that has no meaning.

Which is why I'd rather look at graphs.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #6 of 59
"Non-fatiguing" or "an all-day listen" or "forgiving" which usually means the treble rolls off hard.
"Intimate" which often means narrow soundstage.
"As an overall package, it's great" which usually means that in terms of sound quality, it sucks.
"Reference tuned" which usually means no bass.

Dec 1, 2020 at 10:23 PM Post #7 of 59
"Non-fatiguing" or "an all-day listen" or "forgiving" which usually means the treble rolls off hard.
"Intimate" which often means narrow soundstage.
"As an overall package, it's great" which usually means that in terms of sound quality, it sucks.
"Reference tuned" which usually means no bass.
Everytime somebody says 'neutral' I think of clinical or like you say no bass. lol Everybody on the ER4 thread thinking they got a reference iem, but in reality, it has no bass.

I think reviewers like to throw the word 'neutral' for something bright or clinical sounding.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 59
Everytime somebody says 'neutral' I think of clinical or like you say no bass. lol Everybody on the ER4 thread thinking they got a reference iem, but in reality, it has no bass.

I think reviewers like to throw the word 'neutral' for something bright or clinical sounding.

Haha... I always assume 'neutral' just means the reviewer likes it. I don't have a single headphone or earphone that hasn't been called neutral by some reviewer somewhere. It's like they think liking a headphone with coloration will make them a bad person.

Oh, I thought of another couple of red flags...

When the reviewer marvels over the price of the gear, and title their review something like, "What do THREE HUNDRED DOLLAR earbuds sound like!?!?" Kind of hard to believe that they've heard any decent gear.

Also when they refer to all earphones as earbuds. It's like watching someone review a truck, but call it a car the whole time.

Dec 1, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #9 of 59
Also when they refer to all earphones as earbuds. It's like watching someone review a truck, but call it a car the whole time.
Reminds me of the mainstream tech Youtubers. It's hard to say who's more sensible - are headphone enthusiasts too caught up in the subculture details, or is there really ignorance on the reviewer's part. Very broad question of course. Though, it doesn't hurt to be correct.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 59
"the weight is very well-distributed" = anvil
1606883140068.png

Dec 2, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #13 of 59
Reminds me of the mainstream tech Youtubers. It's hard to say who's more sensible - are headphone enthusiasts too caught up in the subculture details, or is there really ignorance on the reviewer's part. Very broad question of course. Though, it doesn't hurt to be correct.

For sure, and I cannot deny being pedantic on a lot of things. But, the issue is when the word they're using wrong has another related meaning. Then it becomes confusing. Maybe they still have an accurate, informative review, but calling the product the wrong thing definitely makes me wonder. Like when Zeos mispronounce the company's name.

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #14 of 59
Not related to headphones but when girl is described to be thic, it’s a polite way of saying fat.

Definitely a red flag.

Also, “musical”. Can you be less specific? Ive seen in many cases to mean ‘colored but pleasant’, but sometimes as meaning ‘natural’. The meaning is too varied to understand. Red flag for reviewer or product.

Dec 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Post #15 of 59
Definitely a red flag.

Also, “musical”. Can you be less specific? Ive seen in many cases to mean ‘colored but pleasant’, but sometimes as meaning ‘natural’. The meaning is too varied to understand. Red flag for reviewer or product.

Um... obviously it's to distinguish them from headphones that are gamery or podcastical. I mean, imagine using a musical sounding headphone when you're trying to play CoD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back