Underrated guitar players
Jul 15, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #106 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i thought you'd like to know that if you live in New York, Verlaine offers reasonably priced guitar lessons to kids and such in the Village. Imagine getting lessons from him - i hope my kid grows up quick enough to take advantage of this!

no kidding! i've got a two-year-old... man, that'd be the coolest thing ever.
i imagine he must charge a small mint. i wonder how young he takes them?

Jul 15, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #107 of 119
i wonder too - the pic i saw of him giving lessons in the Post was for a kid who looked about 7 years old. i bet if your kid is a child prodigy by age 4 and can hold a guitar properly, he'd be willing to take your money.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:57 PM Post #108 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
i wonder too - the pic i saw of him giving lessons in the Post was for a kid who looked about 7 years old. i bet if your kid is a child prodigy by age 4 and can hold a guitar properly, he'd be willing to take your money.

i'd better start working on his callouses. actually, the kid has already written his first song. it's called "Bye, Bye Digger." he strums my guitar furiously while singing it over and over. sometimes he'll throw in a verse about a truck or a snowman.
icon10.gif

Jul 16, 2004 at 9:02 AM Post #109 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by eyeteeth
Sadly he's nearly forgotten.
frown.gif
But I remember him also.

Man i love Rory Gallagher he is my all time guitar hero.
His guitar playing has been an great influence in my life. He makes me wanna be a better guitar player
smily_headphones1.gif

I've met alot of great people from all over the world by going to tribute concerts, i even met his brother at a tribute, he was a real nice guy.

He still has a large following are there alot of bands still playing his music.
The best one is called Brute Force an Ignorance and they are from germany.
Great guys and very talented musicians. They give a concert every year in the Hostel In in Cork.
If you're in he neighbourhood, check it out!!

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:13 PM Post #110 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by VicAjax
i'd better start working on his callouses. actually, the kid has already written his first song. it's called "Bye, Bye Digger." he strums my guitar furiously while singing it over and over. sometimes he'll throw in a verse about a truck or a snowman.
icon10.gif

Haha that's cool! I remember getting my kid cousins into guitar that way - I would make the chords and they would strum like mad. I even made them hold picks!

And calluses are cool - my "baby" calluses fell off over a decade ago, but i can still remember the nasty peeling before the pads set in. The kid may give up before that stage, but tell em *no pain no gain!*

Jul 17, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #111 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel
Martin Barre of Jethro Tull.

Excellent guitar player, often ignored.

Bother - I was about to post for Him !. Saw Tull in 2001 Barre is brilliiant and surprisingly lively for his age, its a shame Anderson's voice and writing talent have declined so much.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:31 AM Post #113 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmascatello
Zakk Wylde - He can go from backing Ozzy to recording some of the most aggressive Southern Rock (Black Label Society) to mellow acoustic tracks (Book Of Shadows) to country-rock (Pride and Glory) without missing a beat. His riffs are among the best in hard rock/metal these days and to see him live is awesome (provided he is not too drunk on stage). We get another double-dip at Ozzfest this year with BLS and Ozzy.

What about Jake E Lee - Bark at the Moon is pretty good.

Aug 20, 2004 at 11:39 AM Post #114 of 119
And how about Angus Young, i think he is quite underrated, as is Malcolm for that matter imo. Some very nicely crafted solos (you shook me...) and impressive, driving rhythm guitar.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #116 of 119
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamvanman
And how about Angus Young, i think he is quite underrated, as is Malcolm for that matter imo. Some very nicely crafted solos (you shook me...) and impressive, driving rhythm guitar.

I think Angus gets plenty of press (the schoolboy look helps) but you are right, Malcolm gets the shaft, he does great rhythm work.

Aug 20, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #118 of 119
Big ups for Wes Montgomery. In the right circles he gets his dues tho. Like Charlie Christian and Les Paul. They aren't just a pickup and a guitar you know! Man I gotta see Les Paul play this monday at the Iridium before, you know, it's too late.

Aug 21, 2004 at 4:43 PM Post #119 of 119
I don't really listen to much metal, hard rock, or "jam bands," so this list may have some glaring omissions, but here's my take anyway, throughout the years:

CHUCK BERRY: Not really sure if underrated, but doesn't seem to be given the credit he deserves among the general music listening public. I believe Keith Richards once said that his riffs were basic reworkings of Chuck Berry riffs.

NICK DRAKE: Listen to his final studio album, PINK MOON. With nothing else except an acoustic guitar and his voice, and "distortion to cover his ass," his acoustic guitar playing ability really comes through, especially in songs such as "Road," "Pink Moon," and "Place to Be."

LOU REED/STERLING MORRISON: More than anyone else, they created the sound of guitar-based Indie/Experimental/Punk Rock during their days in The Velvet Underground.

ROBERT FRIPP: Just listen to his guitar work on Eno's HERE COME THE WARM JETS or the David Bowie song "Heroes" to get an idea of this guy's glam-meets-avant-garde guitar brilliance.

TOM VERLAINE/RICHARD LLOYD: Listen to Television's MARQUEEN MOON and chances are technically, you may never hear two guitar players complement each other better.

BERNARD SUMNER: If you want to hear the definition of "buzzsaw" guitar, just listen to either of Joy Division's two studio albums. The sound he gets from his guitar on songs such as "Shadowplay," "Day of the Lords," and "Atrocity Exhibition" can cut through steel.

JOHNNY MARR: In the US, not as many people know of this guy, who was as equally important as Morrisey for defining The Smiths' trademark sound. Redefined guitar pop like no one else.

JOEY SANTIAGO: Virtuoso? No way. Avant-garde noise-guitar genius? Nope. Technically proficient? Not really. Can read music? Not quite. Does any of this matter? No. Listen to Pixies' SURFER ROSA and DOOLITTLE to understand how no one else could have taken his place as lead guitarist for one of the most important and influential indie/alternative rock bands of all time.

JOHN SQUIRE: The second coming of Johnny Marr. His guitar playing on THE STONE ROSES eponymous debut is as close to note-for-note perfect as you can get.

KEVIN SHIELDS: Imagine how a guitar would sound if it were made out of liquid. Or better yet, give My Bloody Valentine's LOVELESS a listen. Also check out his stunning work on the Primal Scream song "MBV Arkestra (If They Move Kill 'Em).

STEPHEN MALKMUS/SPIRAL STAIRS: The meat-and-potatoes of Pavement, these guys made atonal noise pop catchy and fun, as opposed to the more avant-garde and artsy noise rock of Dinosaur Jr. and Sonic Youth. And like any other good indie artist, they spawned countless imitators and spurred on countless amateur guitarists to keep playing.

JEFF BUCKLEY: His individuality as musician and a human being was matched by the dynamic nature of his musical arrangements. Often shifting from jazz to folk to rock to hard rock progressions (often in the same song), he was an exceptionally talented guitarist who continued to bend and stretch genres and musical styles with his playing.

DOUG MARTSCH: Built to Spill guitarist and frontman wove complex, winding melodies with untraditional song structures that stood out from the homogeneity of alternative rock/pop during the mid-90s. One NY paper even touted him as the "Hendrix equivalent" for the alternative rock audience in their review of Built to Spill's THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH LOVE- in my opinion, also their best album.

NICK MCCABE: If you were to take his guitar accompaniment parts and play them on their own, you'd probably think to yourself "this doesn't make any sense." Then go back and play The Verve's A STORM IN HEAVEN or URBAN HYMNS, and it all makes sense with the other pieces of the band are in place. Perhaps the best in rock at improvising sonic guitar textures live on stage or in the studio. Producer Owen Morris, who also called McCabe "the most gifted musician he's ever worked with," puts it best, "You can ask Noel Gallagher to play the same guitar line a hundred times and, as long as there's a good reason, he'll do it. With Nick, you've got no chance. He just doesn't want to.'"

Comments, questions, disagreements welcome. All regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back