Ultrasone Edition 8 EX thread
Oct 11, 2017 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ostewart

Reviewer at Sound Perfection Reviews
Formerly affiliated with HiFi Headphones
I don't suppose anyone has these?

http://www.ultrasone.audio/en/products/editions/ultrasone-edition-8ex

I've got them on loan for 6 weeks to review, maybe not worth the price ($2199.00) SQ wise, but the look, feel and build are certainly high end:

DSC_9026.jpg

Oct 15, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 4
So what’s your take on the sound signature? I have a Signature Studio that I really like, as it sounds so open and clear, with almost perfect balance. I was curious as to what the Edition 8 Ex offers. They certainly look beautiful. The Studio is my first Ultrasone and I guess the S Logic system works for me.

Nov 7, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 4
Apr 16, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #4 of 4
Edition 8 EX is an amazing closed back that apparently gets no attention here besides 2 people talking about it from 2017...

The imaging, oh man can these things image. They have that tight, deep and punchy Ultrasone bass. The drivers are so snappy, fast, clean and crisp. I love the S-logic, it creates a holographic and immersive sound. The treble is really extended, and it reveals a lot of micro detail. The sound they produce is sharply defined and crisp on the edges. The extension in the treble reveals a lot of micro detail and gives them a high end sound. Fun, exciting, and interesting to listen to but also very detailed and defined, speedy drivers. The imaging is as good as I have ever heard with closed back headphones. Separation is incredible. Build here is second to none.

The only problem with these is the cost, that retail price is real rough, but lucky for me I got lucky to find a nice deal on a beautiful pair. A shame more people can't enjoy this amazing headphone because it is special. Maybe one or two people will read this in the next 5 years.

I do also own an OG edition 8, and while they are from a similar house sound, they are different experiences. The soundstage and implementation of the S-logic is very different. The OG edition 8 has a much closer in your face kind of sound, whereas this EX gives everything more space. The tight bass is in both but the sound is certainly distinct and the EX is more revealing. I much prefer these to, for example TH900 which at retail pricing isn't in a vastly different league.

Between the two - they are similar enough where if you like one, you'll probably like the other but more different than I would have expected. I love them both and they are my high end closed backs of choice.

Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 2.51.27 AM.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back