Ultra Super Tiny Mini Meet (Only 2 Head-Fiers)
Apr 10, 2007 at 5:33 AM Post #181 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by choariwap /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah but with customs, you'll never need/want to upgrade or sell them
wink.gif

what, are you kidding? this is the world of head-fi!
wink.gif

May 27, 2007 at 7:23 AM Post #182 of 190
I need advice on which amp to buy, considering my setup and tastes. I am using shure 530s out of 30gb ipod 5.5g. I listen mostly to classical music, and I'm mainly looking for an amp that can boost the soundstage. Don't get me wrong, the soundstage of the 530s alone is great, but it doesn't quite have that "wow" factor. I'm hoping an amp can add significant airiness and spaciousness... or am I hoping for too much?

I have my eye on the Tomahawk (for obvious reasons) and the Supermicro IV. I realize the supermicro has earned superior ratings in this thread, but considering that the Tomwhawk was specifically designed with the e500 in mind, would that make the Tomahawk a better match for me?

Another somewhat-related question: I thought I read somewhere that tube amps are not ideal for classical. Is that true? That glow doesn't sound like such a bad thing...
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 27, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #183 of 190
I took out my E500s this morning and did a quick comparison for you between the Tomahawk, micro and my current favorite, the Portable Millett. Of the three amps the Micro will give you the most spaciousness and airiness. I did a comparison between the headphone out of a 5G Ipod and the same signal with a micro and the micro adds clarity and spaciousness. The comparison between amps was done with my 4G Redwine Imod. So, for what you want the Micro will do it in an excellent way. As for tubes, they are excellent with classical music. The portable millett is fantatic with classical music, the tube signature gives me the feeling of being in a concert hall; somehow to my ears this amp seems to give the impression of reproducing the room ambiance and air surrounding the performers, which I really like. This is also true of jazz recordings, everthing sounds very natural with this amp. The Micro is not far behind and has a kind of a tube signature also, and it is very open and clear without being in the slightest bit harsh. For the money you get a fantstic sound, although the wait to get one is difficult.

May 28, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #184 of 190
Vorlon, thank you - your efforts are truly appreciated. I'm new to head-fi and I'm still amazed at how friendly and helpful people are here, so you're a credit to this place.
etysmile.gif

I'm pleased to know the micro provides that extra soundstage. Though, as with most things in life, the answer to one question often spawns another:
Soundstage aside, is there better synergy between the 530s and the Tomahawk? I can't help but think that, if the TH was designed with the 530s in mind, it might then plug some of the "holes" or weak points of the 530 better than any other amp. Maybe I'm wrong though. It would be helpful to hear some of the pros of the TH that I might not get with the SMIV, if anyone knows of any. I should mention that besides classical, I do listen to some indie, alternative rock, pop electronica.

May 29, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #186 of 190
I don't think you will do better overall for 530s than the Micro.

May 29, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #188 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there anything besides the amp and my iPOD that I'll need? I remember reading about cables earlier in this thread, which I also know nothing about

I have always loved silver for its speed and clarity. Vorlon1 introduced me to the cables made by Brad at Revelation Audio. One of his 6-7 inches IC in 99.999% cryo silver sells for $79 including S&H, a bargain.

If you prefer a bit of the copper flavor send Fitz a PM. He makes a fantastic silver plated copper IC for about $30 including S&H. Another two great DIYers are Turbo and Highflying.

May 30, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #189 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always loved silver for its speed and clarity. Vorlon1 introduced me to the cables made by Brad at Revelation Audio. One of his 6-7 inches IC in 99.999% cryo silver sells for $79 including S&H, a bargain.

If you prefer a bit of the copper flavor send Fitz a PM. He makes a fantastic silver plated copper IC for about $30 including S&H. Another two great DIYers are Turbo and Highflying.

I checked out Revelation Audio - neat stuff though I didn't see anything for as low as $79. But, I don't have an iMOD. I'm using the crappy regular headphone output. So, don't I need something that connects to the port on the bottom of the iPOD for better sound quality?

May 30, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #190 of 190
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I checked out Revelation Audio - neat stuff though I didn't see anything for as low as $79. But, I don't have an iMOD. I'm using the crappy regular headphone output. So, don't I need something that connects to the port on the bottom of the iPOD for better sound quality?

For the small IC I discussed and for a Dock with a Cryo Silver you have to email Brad for his price at: brad@revelationaudiolabs.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back